What is your preferred ear cleaning product? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

What is your preferred ear cleaning product?

I need something NON oily to clean my GSDs ears. What do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Crowned Member

Zymox Ear Cleanser is probably the best product out there, esp. for dogs prone to problems. It doesn't sting, and it helps break down bacteria and gunk. You can find it on Amazon, or through any good online pet supply. It's a watery liquid.

For healthy ears, I've sometimes used a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar (Bragg's, with the "mother") and filtered water (warmed to luke-warm). However, I'm leery of using that in problem-prone ears because it can sting (and once you have a dog experience that, ear cleaning will be tough in the future).

If you want an all-natural product formulated with essential oils, I like Wondercide's Natural Ear Wash too. They're a great little company, and this is also a watery (not oily) product. Their products always smell wonderful, and it's a non-stinging product. If you place an order with them, pick up one of their shampoo bars at the same time (it's life-changing, wonderful stuff that will cause you to never use bottle-shampoo again--the flea & tick one with citronella, geranium, and neem oil is excellent).
dogfaeries likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

We use zymox also.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Zymox - beats any prescription ear product

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with the zymox. It also gives instant relief to my dog that has chronic ear issues from her allergies. I get this one as it is much cheaper than what vets sell it for.
Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone (1.0%) - Clinic Size (8oz)
Though it is 'oily'...what is your reason for not wanting something with an oily texture?

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-02-2017 at 09:01 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:17 PM

What is your preferred ear cleaning product?

Love Zymox. Always have some on hand. Russell's enormous ears get cruddy so easy and this is what my vet told me to use.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Crowned Member

I like zymox also we get it at the pet store. Max has big ears and the zymox make it easier to clean. Luna and Topper I just use ear wipes their ears stay pretty clean.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:23 AM
Crowned Member

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I agree with the zymox. It also gives instant relief to my dog that has chronic ear issues from her allergies. I get this one as it is much cheaper than what vets sell it for.
Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone (1.0%) - Clinic Size (8oz)
Though it is 'oily'...what is your reason for not wanting something with an oily texture?

This is the "treatment" product, I think. It's great for avoiding the need for a vet visit. It's different though than the Zymox Ear Cleanser (the watery product for maintenance) -- here they are side by side (with an explanation of what they do):
Zymox Ear Cleanser and Enzymatic Ear Solution| Dog Ear Cleansers

There's also a red-labeled Zymox treatment product for stubborn, recurring problems.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Oil attracts dirt and is anti productive to the CLEANING purpose. When I have used oily ear cleaning products on my dog he goes outside and comes back with dirt/dust caked ears. Those products can be great for a dog with an ear infection, but I just want a general cleaner to keep his ears smelling fresh and looking clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page