Bravecto - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your feedback...I have to return to the vet tomorrow for a visit for one of my cats and it will give me the opportunity to discuss concerns with her. Primary problem I was facing was that I had used topicals and was finding ticks from time to time...no fleas just an occasional tick. The horror stories of problems associated with ticks here have me concerned and the vet had said she had good results with the product. I'll discuss it with her again before I use it....thanks again for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTinsley View Post
Thank you all for your feedback...I have to return to the vet tomorrow for a visit for one of my cats and it will give me the opportunity to discuss concerns with her. Primary problem I was facing was that I had used topicals and was finding ticks from time to time...no fleas just an occasional tick. The horror stories of problems associated with ticks here have me concerned and the vet had said she had good results with the product. I'll discuss it with her again before I use it....thanks again for your replies.
Let us know what your vet says. Unfortunately a lot of the old tick medications are not working well anymore, which is why people are going to different medications.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lytrefry View Post
I use it all spring and summer with all 5 of my dogs. A lot of people I know use it as well. I live in tick country where lymes disease is prominent! My dogs get the lymes disease vaccination, but I'd rather be safe then sorry! It one of the only drugs that is great with ticks..
A lot of the parasite (flea, tick control) have many dogs that have different reactions.
If you are nervous using it bring your dogs to the vet and get them to administer it there. Or just watch them closely for the first few days!
There are also recent reports in the last year, about topicals no longer working on fleas in some parts of the country. I tried another med, Comfortis, and it did not work. I try to look at scientific studies, not self diagnoses. Someone should look into deaths and do research to find out if the medications are to blame or if they are just rumors or coincidences. The internet is a good place to research and also notorious for providing bad information too.
Very true!! Revolution doesn't work whatsoever on two of my dogs for fleas or ticks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

The vet told me he liked the product and has not had problems with it. Makes me nervous to use new medications but the alternative with the severe tick problem here isn't comforting either and the topicals just are not getting the job done.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
I used it last year on both my dogs with zero ill side effects and outstanding tick protection, so I will probably do it again this year... Depending on how bad the ticks are
I've spent the better part of spring, summer, and fall camping/hiking in Pend O'reille county and north Idaho since the 80s. I have not come across a tick on any of my dogs. I believe you are a bit west of those areas and it's a little dryer, are the ticks that bad there?

We have them thick at times in Spokane county and anywhere around the pothole lakes, along with rattle snakes, but never when heading northeast.

We did use bravecto once for Ollie and had no problems with it, but haven't needed it otherwise. If the ticks are bad enough we would probably use it again

Last edited by Nigel; 02-18-2017 at 07:38 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the ticks are very bad here...got warnings from the breeder and the forest ranger. They said it was due to the milder winters. We don't face the dangers of rattle snakes here though like you do. All species of snakes in this area are nonpoisonous. I remember your area of the States very well. I drove for a while in the U.S. and delivered Blue Bunny ice cream. Whenever I would pull a load out your way I'd bring back a load of cherries. Beautiful country there.
Nigel likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 PM

Posy's trainer is VERY anti Bravecto based on what she's seen/heard and researched. I've given it to posy a couple of time. The last time I asked the vet and she said they haven't had any ill effects and gives it to her dog. Posy has never had any noticeable ill effects, but a couple weeks after giving it to him last time, he was acting strangely. Very restless, licking his paws obsessively (which isn't historically new behavior for him). This could have had nothing to do with the Bravecto, and I wouldn't have even correlated the 2, but when I mentioned his behaviour to the trainer, she said: "I told you not to give him bravecto."
Has anyone experienced that? Where they didn't have immediate health effects like foaming or running around, but even a week or two later, noticed strange behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page