Running with your dogs.. yay or nay? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By John C.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Running with your dogs.. yay or nay?

Hi guys, here I am again. Ive posted about this before but didn't get too many responses so I'm going to try once more.

My question is.. Is it ok to run with your dogs?

I read a lot of mixed things. Some people say no it's not safe for them or natural. Some people say it's fine. What do you guys think? Any feed back from people who actually do this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:54 PM

When I was younger, thinner and in better shape I used to run with my GSD. Before that I ran with my Samoyed. I think it's absolutely fine, with the following caveats: 1. start slowly and work up; 2. no running with puppies - the dog should be mature and done growing; 3. try to stay off of cement or concrete if you can - trail running would be best; 4. be very careful in the summer, dogs don't dissipate heat as well as we do and can overheat; 5. I would not feed the dog a large meal before or immediately after your run; 6. if the dog is showing signs of distress, stop.

If you take these precautions, unless you're an Ethiopian marathoner most GSD will be able to outrun and outlast you.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:39 PM

as long as the dog is healthy old enough and not being forced to run you should be fine. Fine keeping them lean is good too less stress on the joints. In the summers my dog an i readily crush 5 mile runs a coupe times a week he has much more stamina then me though. I try to keep him on grass as much as i can though again to keep the stress to a minimum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:28 AM

I love running with my older dog, and can't wait until the puppy is old enough to join! Running is good exercise for them, and most dogs love it. I agree with John and Girardid, don't run your dog until they're done growing and start slow and easy and work your way up. Keep an eye on your dog during the run, I know Maia is good at telling me when she's done, but some dogs will keep going and ignore any pain/heat they're feeling, so just make sure you keep them in mind as you're running, too, and it'll work out great
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Knighted Member

I run with Bruno. He only likes to go 2-3 miles so I will drop him at home and finish the rest of my run alone but it's a handy way to get both of our exercise in. He lets me know when he wants to go home by nudging my hand and trying to herd me or grabbing the leash in his mouth. I don't force it and watch for any signs of limping. Also, I only take him in cooler weather.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Elite Member

I run my GSD and malinois pretty much daily. The GSD is 11 and comes on most of our runs except when I am skiing and going much faster. She used to be able to keep up just fine in her youth even skiiing, we did up to 20 miles at a good clip.

I do not run much on pavement if at all. Usually the dogs are free running and in summer I chose a route that goes by a few natural water sources.

Dogs love it and so do I. Forced runs on pavement are a bit boring and unnatural for the dog, but better than nothing. If the dog isn't happy, don't do it. Pretty simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys. My girl is 15 months old. Probably too young for now but I think once summer comes around, we'll start hitting the trails. I'm so excited! I love running and I just want to share a little bit of that experience with her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page