Flea bite prevention - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Flea bite prevention

I very much suspect Deja of having a strong flea allergy. Most treatments/preventatives kill the flea after it has bitten. However I am hoping to find something that deters fleas from jumping on her and biting her since it is the flea's saliva that makes her react. Does anyone know of such a product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 PM

Yikes. Hope you find something. I had a cat once that had a severe flea allergy and as long as we gave Capstar religiously and kept the cycle at bay - it helped but never completely deterred.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Elite Member

Doesn't wondercide repel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Elite Member

I guess you could look into tea tree oil, etc essential oils which are known for flea prevention. Garlic etc,

I use Neem oil for fleas and tics.

Thing about neem is it is cheap and it lingers on the dogs hair so to prevent fleas or tics jumping onto the dog. It also works really good better than any other natural remedy i tried. It has a good effect on the hair and skin.

You can simply put it on raw or mix it with warm water + washing liquid and spray it on the dog, or add it too shampoo.

I generally wash the dogs with it once a month and spray it on weekly in summertime. It definitely works for my dogs.

Can spray bedding, carpets and outdoor areas too, and it is non toxic so safe to use.

If your trying to get pregnant or get the dog pregnant i wouldn't use it as it is a birth control in India a country where it is famous for it's anti bacterial and anti parasite qualities. After using it years i stopped for few months, when getting gf pregnant and we were successful. lol. So no lasting effect on that front. good to wear gloves too as it stinks like sulfur.

Let's make Mongrels great again
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

re for cats, i tried neem and the cat hated the smell so much it climbed up a chimney to clean itself resulting in a black cat. Put it on another cat and he done the same but the fleas and tics were repelled in both cases. One was inflested with tics and the other fleas.

The carbon in the chimney must absorb the scent and oil.

Let's make Mongrels great again

Last edited by MadLab; 01-23-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Crowned Member

Advantix. Seresto. It repels fleas and ticks.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Advantix. Seresto. It repels fleas and ticks.
Thanks Jax, I ordered the Seresto. Cheap on Chewy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:48 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I very much suspect Deja of having a strong flea allergy. Most treatments/preventatives kill the flea after it has bitten. However I am hoping to find something that deters fleas from jumping on her and biting her since it is the flea's saliva that makes her react. Does anyone know of such a product?
We've used both nexguard and advantix II and I've never seen a tick or flea... Even when I've pulled ticks off myself after a hike in the woods.

Idk if we've just been lucky in terms of fleas or if the meds worked.

I'm actually looking at the seresto now. The nexguard is a little pricey and the advantix leaves a little oil slick that my bf hates.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

When I had a dog with an allergy to fleas I used a lemon/water homemade spray on the dog. Fleas are repelled by the smell of lemons. It was cheap easy method to repel fleas for me. I still used a flea treatment, but most only kill the flea after it's bitten the dog.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
When I had a dog with an allergy to fleas I used a lemon/water homemade spray on the dog. Fleas are repelled by the smell of lemons. It was cheap easy method to repel fleas for me. I still used a flea treatment, but most only kill the flea after it's bitten the dog.
I agree. I only use it as I don't think the boarding place will spray her with stuff every day. Don't want to take any chances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page