No More Ice! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

No More Ice!

My WL female is having her teeth cleaned today. I just found out from the dental expert we now have in our clinic, it is not good to let her chew on ice cubes!

Every time I open the freezer, she is there waiting for her ice cube. But NO MORE

Just a little info. Not sure if it's really important, but it definitely will be to her! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 PM

AwwwMaybe stash something softer to chew near the freezer door and create a new habit?

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

Oh boy thanks for this info. Not even an ice cubes is a guiltless treat. They wear the teeth down? Crap I always let max have ice cubes when opening refrig. The vet said Max's teeth are severly worn down. It had to be from large soft jolly balls of no more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Crowned Member

I always wondered about all the frozen bones and frozen treat filled kongs too.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

My dogs always like an ice cube in hot weather!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

It's funny. She is just nuts for the ice! She'll come running from another room when the freezer door is opened?! Go figure?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:46 AM

How can an ice cube be bad when these dogs chew on antlers and everything else known to man? This doesn't sound right to me?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 AM
Crowned Member

I give ice do they don't gulp down water after exercise, eating or when its extremely hot out. It can prevent some other things that are more dangerous then teeth IMO

For example...I ran out of food and Batman is not one to wait, so k gave him some dog food two days ago. I noticed that he was extremely thirsty and was gulping water. His belly immediately got way bigger then it should have. I have been watching him and today--he threw up some undigested dog food(from 2 days ago) after drinking water. I gave him ice cubes to relieve his thirst and he didn't bomit anymore.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Master Member

Our girls get a frozen pumpkin treat every day after dinner (we freeze them in silicone mini-muffin tins, but an ice cube tray would also work). They will sit by the freezer until they get it. I guess that's no good for their teeth either?

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 AM

My 1st girl loved logs, chewing them, hauling them, for her lifetime, 15 years.
Her teeth in elder years were filed flat from this, but no problem for her. She got so much joy from the log hauling.
My last girl loved ice cubes, and in her later years when she couldn't run off lead, chasing cubes across the floor was her fun. Maybe her teeth were not needle sharp, but she had fun, her teeth looked fine for 14 year old, worn a bit, as expected for a long life.
A dental expert's job is to keep those canine teeth as perfect as possible, that's their area of expertise. If perfect teeth of maximum sharpness is the goal, "no more ice" is excellent advice.
I lean towards fun.
Suki's Mom, gsdluvr and lalabug like this.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page