When should I fix my pups? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

When should I fix my pups?

I've read many different things when in regards to both male and female GSDs getting neutered and spayed. I've read that some vets say get it soon as possible while others say you should wait some time before getting it done. I do have a male and female, siblings, both intacted currently. I don't want a mess up, but at the same time, I don't want to hinder any of them developmental wise. They both have crates too so if need be, I can separate them and make sure they are not along together if waiting to get fixed is the better option. Opinions please!

I've always planned on fixing my female, however, my fiancee doesn't wish to get the male fixed if it isn't necessary.

Luna GSD 07/20/16
Wyatt GSD 07/20/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

I would wait until after Luna's first heat. And Wyatt wait as long as you can. Once Luna is spayed, it's not an emergency to get Wyatt neutered. 2 years seems to be the optimal minimum age.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

Also be aware that "keeping separate" most often will include being kept apart even during times that they are supervised, does not mean one crated and one loose when unsupervised (dogs can breed thru crates), and you should prepare for a month of this arrangement.
Jax08, dogfaeries and GypsyGhost like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainE View Post
I've read many different things when in regards to both male and female GSDs getting neutered and spayed. I've read that some vets say get it soon as possible while others say you should wait some time before getting it done. I do have a male and female, siblings, both intacted currently. I don't want a mess up, but at the same time, I don't want to hinder any of them developmental wise. They both have crates too so if need be, I can separate them and make sure they are not along together if waiting to get fixed is the better option. Opinions please!

I've always planned on fixing my female, however, my fiancee doesn't wish to get the male fixed if it isn't necessary.
Both our breeder and vet cited studies showing that waiting until 12-14 months when the growth plates have closed decreases the likelihood of joint problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page