Tropiclean Oatmeal & Tea Tree Shampoo - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By maxtmill

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Tropiclean Oatmeal & Tea Tree Shampoo

Hi there, this will be my first question ever on this forum . Anyway, I just got my new best friend puppy named León on Christmas day. Here in Idaho the temps have been super cold, dry and snowy. When i got him i noticed his coat had a TON of dandruff and his ears had scabs (i assume from scratching). So i bathed him (with regular pet shampoo) on Christmas day and his dandruff slightly decreased, and i decided to go buy him some moisturizing/conditioning shampoo for his next bath to eliminate the dandruff dry skin. I found this brand "TropiClean Oatmean & Tea Tree" shampoo at PetCo and it has all this info about how it reduces scratching and stuff. Anyway, my question is since i bathed him on Sunday, do you think it'll hurt to bath him with THIS NEW shampoo? It does say on the bottle that its safe for daily use and i guess its because it replenishes the skin with oils? I found a link to the back of the bottle that you can read for yourselves. Please let me know you opinion on this. He doesn't seem as itchy as the first day i got him, but i really want to do whatever i can to get rid of this dry skin for him.

Edit: I dont have enough counts to post any links, so ill try to post it in this same thread after i reach the 3 post required in order to post links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:33 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

The issue with his ears and the dry coat may be due to the food he is on. Also take him to the vet to get his ears checked, he could have a yeast infection.

You should take him to the vet first chance you get anyways - just best practice whenever one gets a new puppy.

I would not bathe him right away. Add Salmon oil to his food, and make sure he is eating high-quality stuff. The dry skin and ear issues could be a lot of stuff, including an intolerance to grains.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
The issue with his ears and the dry coat may be due to the food he is on. Also take him to the vet to get his ears checked, he could have a yeast infection.

You should take him to the vet first chance you get anyways - just best practice whenever one gets a new puppy.

I would not bathe him right away. Add Salmon oil to his food, and make sure he is eating high-quality stuff. The dry skin and ear issues could be a lot of stuff, including an intolerance to grains.
Thanks for your reply. I took him to the vet the next day after i got him. The vet said his ears showed signs of dry skin and it was common for this weather. At the time i did not have the tropiclean shampoo so i didnt think to ask him about bathing him with it. Leon is currently on Diamond Natural large breed puppy formula, which does contain flaxseed oil and salmon oil already, and i also add a teaspon of coconut oil to his meal a day. Once hes finished growing i plan to put him on Diamond Natural grain free formula. I'll keep in mind that you vote not to bathe him right away.

Thank you again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 06:15 AM
Elite Member

I think salmon oil is great for their coats - I squeeze one capsule into my dogs' food daily. As far as dog shampoo, I often use Dawn Dishwashing liquid, believe it or not - it is what they use to safely remove oil from wildlife after an oil spill. The dogs' coats are left very clean and soft, with no apparent residue. And my Chinese Crested Dog gets a rubdown with coconut oil.
Kydwykkyd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page