That stinky dog smell - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

That stinky dog smell

What is your go-to method or can you recommend your favorite product for easily getting rid of the stinky dog smell? I've looked into the dog wipes, dry shampoos, read the arguments about baby wipes, and I don't want to over bathe her by any means as she's not actually muddy or dirty. I have just used warm water on a rag to rub her down but looking to see what you all do when your pups start to have that stinky smell after a while.
I kind of like the thought of something that might have a nice scent to it, but realize some of those scented products may irritate their skin. I'm just selfish and unrealistic and wish my dog smelled like lavender and fresh linen all the time LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

Stinky dog smell? I don't smell any stinky dog smell anymore!
Shooter likes this.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Elite Member

IME healthy dogs don't have much of a smell to them. Even if they get into something nasty - a little baking soda and hosing them off always works for me. If my dog was getting stinky and it was actually coming from the dog and not a grimy collar I'd be looking for underlying causes.

That said, I do use some essential oils for flea send tick control that is non irritating and makes them smell all yummy.
lalabug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Crowned Member

Most people disagree with me, but I say puppies STINK!

I read the extra smell has something to do with the mothers having an easier time finding her pups when she returns from hunting in the wild.

I find it goes away when the puppies get a little older, but in the meantime, it IS the puppy and there really isn't much you can do about it.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Most people disagree with me, but I say puppies STINK!

I read the extra smell has something to do with the mothers having an easier time finding her pups when she returns from hunting in the wild.

I find it goes away when the puppies get a little older, but in the meantime, it IS the puppy and there really isn't much you can do about it.
Interesting theory.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post

That said, I do use some essential oils for flea send tick control that is non irritating and makes them smell all yummy.

I'm an essential oil junkie! I will have to go check out what YL has for pups... thanks for mentioning that!

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Elite Member

I don't notice my dogs having a strong smell, but it could be I just have a terrible sense of smell, or I am used to it.

I think I read somewhere that bathing a dog once a month or so is okay. I hate to admit it, but I hardly ever bathe my black and red GSD, though he does run in the rain quite frequently and rinse himself off. I bathe my white shepherd every 2 or 3 months or so, but usually because he gets muddy, and it won't brush off. If you haven't given your pup a bath yet, I don't think it will hurt her unless you're doing it an awful lot. I imagine show dogs are bathed quite frequently in show season.
lalabug likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I also think a problem we will surely face living here is a mixture of the humidity and heat with quick come and go precipitation. I'm in southeast Louisiana y'all and it is 80 freaking degrees here today, yes we wore short sleeves and flip flops for Christmas yesterday... :eye roll:
When it's not only hot but the humidity in the air hits you Iike a brick the minute you step outside mixed with the 15 minute torrential downpours every other day - let's just say I KNOW if it's a recipe for bad hair days and boob sweat for myself, I can only imagine how this high energy puppy will smell after a week or two. LOL

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabug View Post
I also think a problem we will surely face living here is a mixture of the humidity and heat with quick come and go precipitation. I'm in southeast Louisiana y'all and it is 80 freaking degrees here today, yes we wore short sleeves and flip flops for Christmas yesterday... :eye roll:
When it's not only hot but the humidity in the air hits you Iike a brick the minute you step outside mixed with the 15 minute torrential downpours every other day - let's just say I KNOW if it's a recipe for bad hair days and boob sweat for myself, I can only imagine how this high energy puppy will smell after a week or two. LOL

You have my sympathies. I am in the NE and I am complaining because it is in the 60s today and will continue to rise over night.
lalabug likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

I have had used for our horse's tail and know people who have used it ,but not myself, for their dogs and worked well. It is 1/3 listerine 1/3 baby oil and 1/3 water in a spray bottle. Cleanse their coat and smells nice. Dry baths always worked if needed.
For use for the house -not on the dogs-remember people on here mentioned coffee grains absorbing any odor. My sister introduced me to essential oils am really loving them. We use the diffuser and house smells like a peppermint candy cane for Christmas. I mix them with water and use a spray bottle for house. Or the roll on with a carrier oil. Rocky Mountain is a great company. I know using it and beneficial for horses but have not used it on any pets yet and still learning much about them. Loving essential oils.
lalabug likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 12-26-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page