Walking your GS - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Walking your GS

So for the last few months, Titan and I have made it mandatory to go on dailywalks – rain or shine (no more than an hour). Unfortunately, every other day, he is on a harness and a leash, and we are walking on the shoulder of the road, so there is no time for him to unleash and let loose. However, I do alternate our walks by going to our local school yard (every other day), where I can unleash him so that he can run as fast as he like. But my question to you is an hour of exercise good enough? I do not have a fenced in yard so leaving him out by himself is unquestionable. When I take him out to potty, I do allow him to run back and forth in are yard (supervised), but I even know that little time in the yard is not good enough for a GS to unwind, so that is why I am asking is a hour good enough. I tried putting him on a treadmill but that is definitely a no-go! Any advice would help?

KillRbee18
Titan ("The greatest GS ever!")
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillRbee18 View Post
So for the last few months, Titan and I have made it mandatory to go on dailywalks – rain or shine (no more than an hour). Unfortunately, every other day, he is on a harness and a leash, and we are walking on the shoulder of the road, so there is no time for him to unleash and let loose. However, I do alternate our walks by going to our local school yard (every other day), where I can unleash him so that he can run as fast as he like. But my question to you is an hour of exercise good enough? I do not have a fenced in yard so leaving him out by himself is unquestionable. When I take him out to potty, I do allow him to run back and forth in are yard (supervised), but I even know that little time in the yard is not good enough for a GS to unwind, so that is why I am asking is a hour good enough. I tried putting him on a treadmill but that is definitely a no-go! Any advice would help?

Here in Germany, we take big dogs at the bike. No idea, if Americans use a bike
This allows the dog to run faster on leash. For this, the dog should be healthy and older than 15 months. Of course you have to start very slowly.
Here in Germany it is also necessary for the "Körung" (I don´t know the english word) . The dog has to run 20 km at the bike. This is called the "Ausdauerprüfung".
Maybe this could be a possibility for you to let your dog run a bit more.
I take our dogs for a run 5 times a week and at the weekend we hike.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:38 PM

Depends on the individual dog.If he's not super restless and driving you nuts then he's getting what he needs already.If there's an interesting woodlot or field nearby where he can be on a long line and wander a little and sniff around that wears them out pretty well too.Using all of their senses to decipher all of the critter scents and trails.
KillRbee18 and Shooter like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by der-schweinestall View Post
Here in Germany, we take big dogs at the bike. No idea, if Americans use a bike
This allows the dog to run faster on leash. For this, the dog should be healthy and older than 15 months. Of course you have to start very slowly.
Here in Germany it is also necessary for the "Körung" (I don´t know the english word) . The dog has to run 20 km at the bike. This is called the "Ausdauerprüfung".
Maybe this could be a possibility for you to let your dog run a bit more.
I take our dogs for a run 5 times a week and at the weekend we hike.

Der-Schweinestall,
Thank you for the reply, however, believe it or not, I have used a bike on a old logging road with him, but I noticed that at the .5 mile mark, he was limping, so when I stopped to take a look at why he was limping I notice it was because he tore his front pad. After that, we managed to walk back to the truck. I had to pick him up and put him in my truck because the pain seemed unbearable. In fact, I carried him into our home so that his injury wouldn't get infected. When I could lay him down in his bed, I cleaned out his wound. I stopped ridding the bike because I felt that I may have over done it and I do not want to re-injure another tore pad. Maybe I should go slower and have him trot along side of me????

KillRbee18
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Depends on the individual dog.If he's not super restless and driving you nuts then he's getting what he needs already.If there's an interesting woodlot or field nearby where he can be on a long line and wander a little and sniff around that wears them out pretty well too.Using all of their senses to decipher all of the critter scents and trails.
Dogma13,
You are so right, I do noticed that after we go for a walk (when he's able to run free), and after he has had a bowl of water and his favorite snack (can of Vienna Sausages), -- he's much relaxed. In fact, he usually finds his comfy spot in one of our rooms and lay down until it is time for him to go potty....

KillRbee18
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Der-Schweinestall,
Thank you for the reply, however, believe it or not, I have used a bike on a old logging road with him, but I noticed that at the .5 mile mark, he was limping, so when I stopped to take a look at why he was limping I notice it was because he tore his front pad. After that, we managed to walk back to the truck. I had to pick him up and put him in my truck because the pain seemed unbearable. In fact, I carried him into our home so that his injury wouldn't get infected. When I could lay him down in his bed, I cleaned out his wound. I stopped ridding the bike because I felt that I may have over done it and I do not want to re-injure another tore pad. Maybe I should go slower and have him trot along side of me????
If you are riding a bike, a trot is fine. Sounds like he tore it from hitting something. How old is Titan? An hour leashed walk is not exercise. Maybe get a chuckit?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
If you are riding a bike, a trot is fine. Sounds like he tore it from hitting something. How old is Titan? An hour leashed walk is not exercise. Maybe get a chuckit?
He'll be three this coming Mar. I don't know what a chuckit is but when I am done typing this message I plan on goggling it. thank you!

KillRbee18
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
He'll be three this coming Mar. I don't know what a chuckit is but when I am done typing this message I plan on goggling it. thank you!
Ball on a launcher. You can do two ball fetch to really get him moving.
Shooter likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
I see what it is now, and it is a "no go" -- he doesn't fetch. What I usually do is throw a big stick, however he'll chase it down and plop himself down to start chewing on it. Most of the time, I have to pull it from his jaws and throw it again --- I should have gotten a cat (LOL)!

KillRbee18
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:56 PM
Elite Member

Lol. Definitely give biking another try. Off leash is great for him. Even just walking in the woods. I'm sure you notice the huge difference in movement from being on a leash to being off leash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page