The dog "weight critics" - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 30Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

The dog "weight critics"

I am posting this because i like this forum and think there is a lot of cool people here, but something i noticed a few people do and should stop is the people who jump on the "your dog is overweight" bandwagon and criticize others if they post a pic or video of their dogs or another dog. Don't get me wrong.. i like most sensible dog lovers find it irritating when people get their dog as big as possible for bragging rights, but at the same time, mind your own business.. i personally would rather see a dog that has an extra 5-10lbs on it then a dog who is skin and bones. Not every dog posted here will fall in the "correct" weight category of the breed, but as long as the dog is not severely obese or severely underweight, then keep your opinions to yourself and lighten up a little. Forums like this should be about fun and sharing a common interest, not trolling others because you think you are perfect when your aren't. Think about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Crowned Member

Sharing experience and opinions is trolling? When someone asks for an opinion, they get it.
cloudpump and Milliegsd like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

I just can't stop laughing. What a great post!!! It has humor, misinformation, irony and hypocrisy all rolled into 6 sentence.
misfits likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I just can't stop laughing. What a great post!!! It has humor, misinformation, irony and hypocrisy all rolled into 6 sentence.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ner-sides.html
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:04 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Sorry you felt someone picked on your dogs for being overweight.

But overweight dogs are a very big problem. And it makes sense to point it out. Sometimes we see our dogs everyday and we don't realize how thick or thin they have gotten.

I have had he same thing happen to me, on the opposite spectrum. Allowing my dogs to get too thin.

When it's pointed out, it's not to make me feel bad, it's in the best interest of my dogs. We all get a bit "kennel blind"
lhczth, selzer and LuvShepherds like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Master Member

Those few extra pounds can reduce a dog's life span by 2 years or more, make them more prone to arthritis, diabetes, heart problems, difficulty breathing, just to name a few. Being politically correct and ignoring a ever growing issue may prevent some hurt feelings, but it won't help to educate the public about how to keep their pet at the correct and healthy weight. A dog can't get on a scale and decide to loose some weight, it is the owner who needs to notice and make it happen. Someone has to speak up for those dogs who even it they look happy are not living the best lives they could be.

I see so many over weight pets and so many owners simply refuse to take the fact that their pet is obese seriously. "Oh we love her so much that is why she is fat." "He looks cute a little bit chubby." "Oh I do feed her less, but it isn't working." "Well I just have to give him a treat when he seems so hungry." And on and on and these pets are the ones who suffer the most. I have two recently diagnosed with diabetes and they are both young dogs, the one is totally blind and the other is nearly there. I have a number of dogs 6 or a few years older with sever arthritis because they are fat or huff and puff and pant constantly from the slightest exertion.

So no I don't think we should "be polite" and not point out when someone's dog is a "little" over weight. Kudos to those who care more about the dog and their well being than hurting and owner's feelings.

Yes I feel VERY strongly about this because I see first hand EVERY day dogs that are suffering because their owners don't know or don't care to put a little effort in to feeding them correctly.
LuvShepherds and RoseW like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:16 PM
Knighted Member

The fat dog thing is mild. Suggest you want to breed your dog and see what happens.
selzer and misfits like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
The fat dog thing is mild. Suggest you want to breed your dog and see what happens.
It's called being a responsible dog owner. If someone here doesn't want to be fine, it's their dog. If they are giving advice that stays up on this board for years, it needs to be sound advice whether everyone agrees or not.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

lol, and the trolls have arrived! What's the matter, truth hurts? I bet each and every one of you who is trolling is fat.. but hey, lets troll other' on their dogs weight right?? lol
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdhistorian4 View Post
lol, and the trolls have arrived! What's the matter, truth hurts? I bet each and every one of you who is trolling is fat.. but hey, lets troll other' on their dogs weight right?? lol
Please don't think everybody on this forum is like that.
gsdhistorian4 likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page