Ice Melt on Dog Feet - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Ice Melt on Dog Feet

I need some help/advice about what to do about ice melt on my dogs' feet. I live in an apartment complex, and two nights ago we got our first really big snow. Naturally, the maintenance men put ice melt EVERYWHERE so the sidewalks, stairs, and even the road weren't slippery. The problem is, there is absolutely no way for me to avoid it while walking my dogs, but it is hurting their feet! They both start limping and holding their feet up as much as possible almost right away after going outside. I walk them through the snow and not on the sidewalks as much as I can, but it isn't enough. As soon as we get inside, I wipe their feet off with a warm washcloth to try to get as much off as I can, but when I inspected their feet a few minutes ago, I saw they they are now red and raw! I know it is the ice melt because when we get straight in the car and drive somewhere (like to a park), they run in the snow for a long time without any limping or lifting of feet.

Any advice on what to do? I've never had this issue with my golden before, and she is almost six now. I just got my German shepherd puppy two weeks ago, and I'm really nervous about their feet. We have tried booties with our golden in the past, and she absolutely will not wear them, so that isn't an option. I can carry the puppy across the sidewalks to the grass for now, but soon he will be way too big for me to be able to pick him up. What should I do? Is there even anything I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

Try boots they make for dogs who have to walk on stuff like that. It will take a while for your dogs to get used to wearing them.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:23 PM

you can try something like Musher's Secret but boots would be best IF you can get your guys to learn to walk in them. Otherwise you might just want to carry around a sheet of cardboard to cover the dicey spots, although that could get awkward since you have two leashes as well.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:26 PM

I have had luck covering my dogs paws in vaseline, pack it up between the toes, coat the entire underside of the foot.

I was mostly walking in snow, but did walk on some roads with ice melt. I tried to avoid anywhere that looked "treated" as much as possible.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:59 PM

I think their feet will toughen up over time, but I also use vaseline, more to keep the ice balls from forming, but it does work, and it's pretty much gone by the end of a walk, so no mess at the end.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

The disposable rubber booties that look like deflated baloons are perfect for this. I used to go in and out of Boston with my dog and the salt burned her paws. She never liked wearing them but she tolerated it, and no painful paws. She started crying on the commuter train one time and I realized the salt from the platform was burning her and I had to do emergency footy wiping in the train bathroom. No fun.

You can get multiple uses out of those boots until a toenail pokes through if you take them off carefully so you dont get salt inside. They really stay on.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I can try the vaseline! That's a good idea. Is there a good brand for the boots anyone can suggest? When we got them in the past for our golden, they kept falling off, even if she was walking semi-normally. No matter how tightly we put them on, they would just come off again. It seems like a good long-term investment to just get the boots if we can find some that work.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:35 PM

Bag Balm???

Bag Balm -- what's your take on this? I used it to soften up his pads but do I want to do that?

KillRbee18
Titan ("The greatest GS ever!")
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

seems to me both bag balm and Vaseline would be a mess once the dog started walking around. If you want to put something on the pads use Mushers Secret
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Banned

I've not used the "mushers secret" myself ... but if your dog is having an apparent issue?? That would be the simplest easiest solution. Obviously the boots if properly sized and fitted would work also but more of a "process" involved there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page