Best age for spaying female - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Best age for spaying female

I have 8 month old female. Not going to breed her. What is best age to be spayed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I like mine to go through at least two seasons, to be fully mature physically and mentally before spaying.
ausdland likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

2. I've got a friend who adopted a dog. The dog was spayed young. Now she suffers from constant it's due to not developing fully. I'm not sure what it's called, but she has folds that harbor bacteria. Also, hormones are vital to proper growth in adolescent dogs.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I moved your thread from General Information to Basic Care. There's lots of information from prior threads on the same topic: German Shepherd Dog Forums - Search Results

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

I have a dog that had a pediatric spay with no side effects. I would wait until 12 months at the earliest for a female and 18 for a male neuter. Realize most of us believe in late speuter if necessary or none at all, so the answers you get are going to lead toward older.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
2. I've got a friend who adopted a dog. The dog was spayed young. Now she suffers from constant it's due to not developing fully. I'm not sure what it's called, but she has folds that harbor bacteria. Also, hormones are vital to proper growth in adolescent dogs.
It's because the vulva is not fully developed at that age. One heat will open up the labia more.

I have decided to leave Deja in tact. The heats are not all that bad to go through. But I watch her health closely like I do mine
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Elite Member

I've researched this topic to death as I believe hormones are essential for proper development and health. Like 'wolfy dog' I may leave my pup intact. If not, I will leave her ovaries and have her uterus removed. Since she's already had one heat and about to have her second, there is NO health preventative/benefit to removing her ovaries per the vet I trust.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:15 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
I've researched this topic to death as I believe hormones are essential for proper development and health. Like 'wolfy dog' I may leave my pup intact. If not, I will leave her ovaries and have her uterus removed. Since she's already had one heat and about to have her second, there is NO health preventative/benefit to removing her ovaries per the vet I trust.
What's the cost of that compared to a normal spay? I ask because I'll be getting a female down the line
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:30 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
What's the cost of that compared to a normal spay? I ask because I'll be getting a female down the line
I didn't ask or care. I guess a little bit more, not much. Every reputable GSD breeder I've talked to says let her have at least 2 heat cycles before you spay, 18-24 months. The argument to spay/remove the ovaries to prevent mammary gland cancer is moot once she's gone through a heat according to my vet.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:35 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
I didn't ask or care. I guess a little bit more, not much. Every reputable GSD breeder I've talked to says let her have at least 2 heat cycles before you spay, 18-24 months. The argument to spay/remove the ovaries to prevent mammary gland cancer is moot once she's gone through a heat according to my vet.
I agree, I'm not for spuetering. I was just curious about some options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page