First heat. Things may get interesting. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

First heat. Things may get interesting.

So Athena has started spotting today. Thus far Rosko has shown a lot less interest than he has in the past. However, I am sure that will change. Should I crate and rotate starting now or just make sure I or someone is supervising constantly. I read that she won't accept a male for a week or so but I definitely don't wanna take any chances. And Apollo being only 4 1/2 months old. Do I need to worry about him or is he still too young to be a concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Another question. Athena is on the far right Rosko is middle Apollo far left. There is 4 1/2 inches between the crates. Can I still put Athena in here while working or just to be safe crate her up iny office?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160823_192840001.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	388841  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

He's too young, but for his happiness I would crate one of them away from the other. I personally prefer to separate the boys from the girls when one is in heat.
dogfaeries likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member

Be prepared for the possibility of male to male aggression at this time.

Do you have a friend or family member you can leave her with for a week?

Your males might howl, so might she. How close are your neighbors?
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I have close neighbors but we'll see how the howling thing goes. As far as somewhere to stay for a week I don't. But I thought heat lasted 3-4 weeks. I am totally OK with less.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
I have close neighbors but we'll see how the howling thing goes. As far as somewhere to stay for a week I don't. But I thought heat lasted 3-4 weeks. I am totally OK with less.
LOL!

I find they fuss for about a week to ten days before things progress to mooing, possible aggression, maybe some destruction and other fun hair pulling activities for the second week with things tapering off the third week but still watch.

I do believe you said you have a son? You may want to monitor any interaction especially those first two weeks. It should not be a problem but things can happen.
Muskeg likes this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

All dogs react differently in season, as in some may be needy, clingy, grouchy, picky, moody, etc.. And I've had some that if I hadn't seen the physical part of being in season I wouldn't have known they were in season. They didn't change at all. My Doberman was perfectly normal in temperament in every way, except she wanted a boyfriend, even if that meant jumping the fence to go find one. Don't let her out alone and I'd even consider keeping a long leash on her.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
LOL!

I find they fuss for about a week to ten days before things progress to mooing, possible aggression, maybe some destruction and other fun hair pulling activities for the second week with things tapering off the third week but still watch.

I do believe you said you have a son? You may want to monitor any interaction especially those first two weeks. It should not be a problem but things can happen.
I am gonna go pick up a couple pieces of privacy fence tomorrow. So I can close her off a 20x30 section of my existing privacy fence so she can be out side and enjoy herself. The rest of the yard is chain link and there are more than enough intact males around here. I'm also gonna pick up a crate not the wire kind but plastic or whatever so I can crate her without having to worry about Rosko.
Hopefully with Apollo being so young, he is very much still fully in his puppy phase. Like where Rosko and Athena was at 3 months. There won't be any aggression issues. Plus Rosko is very much laid back. Hopefully nothing. If so I'll just crate and rotate all of them. Until this is over. As far as my son. You mean from the male dogs or the female.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
All dogs react differently in season, as in some may be needy, clingy, grouchy, picky, moody, etc.. And I've had some that if I hadn't seen the physical part of being in season I wouldn't have known they were in season. They didn't change at all. My Doberman was perfectly normal in temperament in every way, except she wanted a boyfriend, even if that meant jumping the fence to go find one. Don't let her out alone and I'd even consider keeping a long leash on her.
I'll make sure to put a, long line on her while I pit her in her privacy fence. I would say she'll be fine in a six foot fence but I have seen her jump almost that with a 2 step jump.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
I am gonna go pick up a couple pieces of privacy fence tomorrow. So I can close her off a 20x30 section of my existing privacy fence so she can be out side and enjoy herself. The rest of the yard is chain link and there are more than enough intact males around here. I'm also gonna pick up a crate not the wire kind but plastic or whatever so I can crate her without having to worry about Rosko.
Hopefully with Apollo being so young, he is very much still fully in his puppy phase. Like where Rosko and Athena was at 3 months. There won't be any aggression issues. Plus Rosko is very much laid back. Hopefully nothing. If so I'll just crate and rotate all of them. Until this is over. As far as my son. You mean from the male dogs or the female.
It can go either way. I know of some females that get bitchy when they are in heat, that shouldn't surprise you. Males can get aggressive too and there have been a few incidents involving males attacking when females are in heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page