Question about Fleas & Tick Treatment, Vitamins and some other common question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZeroThus

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Question Question about Fleas & Tick Treatment, Vitamins and some other common question.

Hello everyone

Hans is currently 4 month old today, and I want to know more information about the topic mention above. He currently uses Frontline Plus for tick and fleas but i wanted to know if there anything stronger than that because i live in a hot weather country. On to the other topic the Vet. recommend me to wait a couple of month for him to start the Heart-worm pills, what do you guys think about and lastly i want to know any good vitamins that i can give to keep him healthy and strong. I hear that garlic is good for them and Omega 3. But I'm new to Owning a GSD.

Thank you for your advice, Hans and me appreciated

Here is a photo of yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	385370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	385378  
KinsleyBlue likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

Advantage Multi gives flea protection AND heartworm prevention, for about $14/month if ordered with your vet's RX from KV Supply. It's a cost-effective "all in one." It's very effective in my region, where we need year-round flea and HW protection.

It's labeled to start at 7 weeks, I think.

The latest I know of a pup starting and staying negative in my area is 16 weeks, and I think he only stayed negative because he was on Advantage Multi (not Heartguard), since that's the only product with evidence that it actually kills juvenile and young adult worms (slowly).

The longer you wait, the higher the risk. I don't want to delay and end up with a young dog with baby heartworms growing in it -- which has happened to many people here...and then you're looking at about $1000 of HW treatment. In the Gulf Coast region, if you delay starting HW prevention until a dog is 6 months old, you probably will already have a dog with heartworms by the time it gets its first dose of prevention. It just won't test positive for another 6 months or so--but they're already in there, growing.

If you want to separate flea and HW, make sure you are not in an area of ivermectin resistance (= Mississippi Valley and Delta). It still works very well in the vast majority of places, though. Ivermectin is the ingredient in Heartguard.

If you are in an area with tick disease, you also have to factor that in, as it can be extremely important because some tick-borne diseases are very serious and hard to treat (Advantage Multi does not work against ticks).

Frontline Plus works well in some areas and not at all in others. In my area, the fleas appear to have possibly developed some resistance to fipronil (the ingredient in Frontline Plus and Pet Armor)--at least, that's what shelter vets tell me. The newer generation of vet RX products seem to be extremely effective against both fleas and ticks (e.g, NexGuard).

Last edited by Magwart; 09-18-2016 at 01:26 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:23 AM

I use tick collars(seresto) and Heartgard every month. - strongest combination ever (https://www.petbucket.com/Listing/se...ortDirection=0)

Have 2 dogs, 2 cats (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Love
1. Petbucket :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2. Organic Shampoo for dry skin :

Hate :
1. Overcharging vets
2. Animal abusers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:01 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenepi1025 View Post
I use tick collars(seresto) and Heartgard every month. - strongest combination ever (https://www.petbucket.com/Listing/se...ortDirection=0)
Why does, when I click the link, my browser go to some site called "share a sale" and then redirects to pet bucket?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

Hi ZeroThus and Welcome!

First, we need to know the exact brand name of food that you are feeding!

Moms
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Crowned Member

Hi welcome! . We had used frontline in the past which has always worked but seemed to stop working against the fleas. We went back to using advantage now advantix. We use and advantix and have no complaints. During the height of the tick season - spring -we will find a few ticks but we also live in a densely wooded area
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Hi ZeroThus and Welcome!

First, we need to know the exact brand name of food that you are feeding!

Moms
He is eating Taste of the Wild: High Prairie Puppy® Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page