Spaying/neutirng a gsd - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dainerra
  • 1 Post By ShoopDaS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Spaying/neutirng a gsd

Hello all,

First-time poster here, been lurking for a while.
I have a, now 3 months and 2 weeks, old gsd puppy and I've got some healthcare questions.

I've read a lot of comments and advices on when to spray/neuter a gsd, but they all say different things. When can I expect her first heat?

My vet suggested to spay her at 6 months of age before her first heat occurs.
Now the question is since she is an in-house dog and I do NOT plan on breeding her, is that correct age to do so? Or should I let her experience first, second or even third heat to fully develop her body/mind?

Can or should I expect behavioural changes after spaying her? I'd prefer to keep her in this young playful mindset, but I'd also like to make sure she doesn't develop any health issues due to non-spaying/spaying.

What kind of spaying should I go with? I've read that there are two main/only options, one that would surgically remove her womb and all the works, and one that would just tie up her canals or whatever are those parts called (sorry, not a native English speaker)

And one more question, regarding her weight, at 3m1w, she weight 14.7 kgs (hmm around 32.5 pounds). Is that weight okay for her? according to most charts, she is way above her size for her age.
Could that be an issue later on or is she just going to be a bigger specimen?

If anything is unclear, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Crowned Member

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 PM

do you use facebook? there is a wealth of information here as well
https://www.facebook.com/groups/alte...ealteringinfo/

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 01:06 AM
Elite Member

It's your dog but everything I've read and been told by GSD breeders is don't spay her before 18 months to allow her to mature and her growth plates to close. Certainly dealing with 1-2 heats is worth that. But once she's been through 1 heat cycle, there's no benefit to removing her ovaries if you have her spayed. I may spay my pup at 2-3 years, if I don't breed her, so I'll just have her uterus removed and leave her ovaries; many health benefits to retaining hormones; only downside is increased risk of mammary gland cancer, but since she's already been through one heat that's moot.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 02:28 AM

If she's already a bit on the larger side, I personally would wait until she reaches 18-24 months to spay her (provided that you are careful to prevent accidental pregnancies when she is in heat) just to make sure that her hips and joints grow correctly. There has been a fair amount of research that suggests that spaying/neutering before the growth plates fully close (around 24 months) can cause hip/joint problems. Most vets will recommend spaying/neutering around 4-8 months because one, most owners aren't careful enough to prevent accidental pregnancies, and two, because they want to prevent problems such as mammary cancer, uterine cancer, etc. However, hip/joint problems are much more common than mammary and uterine cancer, so I personally would rather take the risk of waiting to spay her until she's older rather than risk her developing hip/joint problems due to spaying too early.

Last edited by Tulip; 09-17-2016 at 02:31 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the information. The decision has been made and I will wait for her to reach 2 years before spaying her.

Thank you all again!
Mudypoz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page