Tiger,a lazy 7 month old male Gsd - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Tiger,a lazy 7 month old male Gsd

Tiger is a male , now 7 month old gsd puppy currently weighing 28.5 kg and height of 61.5 cm at the shoulders.

Right from day 1 he has been a bit lazy .
Initially he used to be a vigorous eater but it seems his appetite slowly dwindled to a point where we have to literally hand feed him and he still consumes only half of recommended diet.

His laziness has increased and he seems too slow . While going for walk I have to actually DRAG him all the way. He seems uninterested in everything.
Trainer complains that he would not even accept treats(we have changed treats and he rejects all) and is slow to learn and very lazy.
We have consulted the Vet and he says there is no disease and hypothyroidism is not a possibility at this age.

He does rum but only ehen confronted with a stray dog , apart from that he is uninterested.

What could be the possible reason ?
Did any of you have similar experience with a very lazy gsd puppy?
What could be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:37 AM
Elite Member

I think it's time for a second opinion from another vet. It sure sounds as if there is something physical going on. Is the pup losing weight from not eating?

None of what you describe sounds like normal GSD puppy behavior. Did your vet run a full blood panel?

I'm really concerned about your pup. I would get another vet's opinion asap.
Jax08 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 04:56 AM
Crowned Member

My youngest Apollo was very laid back. He would go into playful spurts the first 6-7 months, but then go lay down or sleep. He gave me a lot of problems with the crate, he didn't want anything to do with that and was out of the crate at 5 months(before that he was in there minimally to begin with). He did eat, never super fast. In class he was very quiet and observant and took treats. It was at 6-7 months that he came out of his shell. He realized what a ball was and hasn't stopped playing since. He will be two in a couple weeks and he just started barking when someone knocks on the door or if he hears someone/something on the back of the property. I thought he would never bark, but he has a very nice big boy bark. At first I worried about him a little bit, but I was waiting for that puppy to come out and if finally did. Never went through a biting stage, a chewing stage, nothing most puppies do. He was a real easy pup(except our argument over the crate which he won). If you feel something isn't right, take him to the vet for a check up, xrays, and bloodwork to ease your mind.
cdwoodcox and Gunny like this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

I think that you have created his eating habits, by catering to him. He is eating on his terms as opposed to your terms.
Though it sounds like he is a very low drive dog, it may be the result of his breeding and again the way you are raising.
Against my better advice, I got my nephew a pup from Germany who's father was a German Seiger. This puppy is the epitome of lazy....though I don't call it that. He hardly ever exerts any energy, is soft as butter, ( he's now 20 months) would not get into SUV without being lifted up even after one year old. My nephew said, Uncle Cliff, he's not like your dogs or the previous two dogs you got me in my first twenty years of life, even though he is same saddleback like they were. I told him not to import the type dog he wanted but he wanted pretty.
Btw, my brother kept the dog this summer, and I obedience trained him for my nephew....he now jumps into the SUV...lol.
He is very nice dog with temperament of Golden Retreiver and better breeding than me. So your dog's temperament is not uncommon to some lines, and may well have nothing wrong with him. He also could have a light bulb turn on at later age....which I could better judge if I knew his genetics. Enjoy your dog!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Elite Member

I think a second opinion and blood panel (was one done?) couldn't hurt.

I have a friend who is a dog walker who was walking a Golden puppy, we met once with Neb to take the dogs for a walk - it was probably around 7 months old, and it was lazy. I think we made it 200meters in 20 minutes. I was surprised, because Neb wasn't like that at all as a puppy. But it was healthy, and it grew out of the phase.

Teagan RIP
Luc 15.5 yo GSD
Neb, husky/terrier/lab? X, DOB 18.4.2008
Xerxes, beagle, ~3yo
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear RIP; Esme RIP; Timothy and Cordelia
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire RIP
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 AM

My GSD is very laid back and calm for a puppy, will run and play but very happy to sit quietly. Switched him to a raw diet and he seems to have more sparkle. Vet has checked him, just his temperament. He was trained for two weeks at the Loyal Companion to nut jump up. No complaints, never chews or damages anything in the house.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

What are you feeding your pup, Swapnil?

Also, once you have a few more posts and more privileges on the forum, can you go into your profile and add your location? It will help, as I know that in some areas of the world, like India, people don't always have access to the same brands ofdog food we have here, and in general, GSDs may not do well on the foods traditionally fed to pet dogs.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
What are you feeding your pup, Swapnil?

Also, once you have a few more posts and more privileges on the forum, can you go into your profile and add your location? It will help, as I know that in some areas of the world, like India, people don't always have access to the same brands ofdog food we have here, and in general, GSDs may not do well on the foods traditionally fed to pet dogs.
Yes sure I will do that.
I am feeding him Farmina N&D chicken and pomogrenade maxi puppy food
400-450 g per day in two divided meals!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
I think it's time for a second opinion from another vet. It sure sounds as if there is something physical going on. Is the pup losing weight from not eating?

None of what you describe sounds like normal GSD puppy behavior. Did your vet run a full blood panel?

I'm really concerned about your pup. I would get another vet's opinion asap.

Thanks for your opinion.
No, he otherwise seema healthy and is not loosing weight.
Infact he is doing much better now - a-days
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
My youngest Apollo was very laid back. He would go into playful spurts the first 6-7 months, but then go lay down or sleep. He gave me a lot of problems with the crate, he didn't want anything to do with that and was out of the crate at 5 months(before that he was in there minimally to begin with). He did eat, never super fast. In class he was very quiet and observant and took treats. It was at 6-7 months that he came out of his shell. He realized what a ball was and hasn't stopped playing since. He will be two in a couple weeks and he just started barking when someone knocks on the door or if he hears someone/something on the back of the property. I thought he would never bark, but he has a very nice big boy bark. At first I worried about him a little bit, but I was waiting for that puppy to come out and if finally did. Never went through a biting stage, a chewing stage, nothing most puppies do. He was a real easy pup(except our argument over the crate which he won). If you feel something isn't right, take him to the vet for a check up, xrays, and bloodwork to ease your mind.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Tiger seems to be getting a bit more active now!
Probably he hates the hot summers here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page