Flea Pills - Are they necessary? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Flea Pills - Are they necessary?

Hi guys so Im really confused about flee medication. I have never found a flee or a tick on my pup. She is about 9 months old now, I had her since she was 2 months old.

Are we suppose to buy those $60 flee pills every month? Even if you dont see any flees or biting/scratching? Thanks guys..

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 08-26-2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Correct thread title from flee to flea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:57 PM
Elite Member

Yes, if you don't want to deal with fleas in your house....fumigating your house is not fun.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

You don't need to spend $60/month, but you do need some kind of flea prevention in a warm climate.

A 6-pack of Advantage Multi covers fleas, heartworm prevention, and intestinal parasites and costs about $80 on KVsupply.com for a 6-pack (6 months) with your vet's prescription. That's around $13/month. It's a topical all-in-one that works great, and it's considerably cheaper than Trifexis or Revolution. Even those two don't cost $60/month though--more like $20.

What is your vet selling you for $60/month?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
You don't need to spend $60/month, but you do need some kind of flea prevention in a warm climate.

A 6-pack of Advantage Multi covers fleas, heartworm prevention, and intestinal parasites and costs about $80 on KVsupply.com for a 6-pack (6 months) with your vet's prescription. That's around $13/month. It's a topical all-in-one that works great, and it's considerably cheaper than Trifexis or Revolution. Even those two don't cost $60/month though--more like $20.

What is your vet selling you for $60/month?
is the advantage a pill also?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:45 PM

For whatever it's worth, I haven't used any flea prevention on any of my dogs for many years. No infestations in our house either. We live in Northern Ca.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

Advantage Multi is a topical applied to the back of the shoulders. I'd still like to know what your vet is selling that costs $60/month, though!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Advantage Multi is a topical applied to the back of the shoulders. I'd still like to know what your vet is selling that costs $60/month, though!
Not the OP, but my guess is Nexgard. My vet tried to sell me some.

I'll stick to K9 Advantix.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 PM
Elite Member

Do a little research and find out how bad the problem is in Santa Barbara. Ask your neighbors and friends. Ask people you meed on the street. If you decide that something is needed, you have your choice among, as needed sprays, monthly topicals, monthly or 3 month oral medication, flea collars (the good ones not the Safeway brand) and/or natural remedies that may or may not be that effective. Do your research and don't go with one person's recommendations. We all have different experiences.

I have a search dog and we go into some infested areas. I want very good coverage and Advantix was not working well for me. I am doing Nexguard. Our non-search dog does not have to be on anything because we live at high elevation. BTW, I think I get 3 doses of nexguard for 60 some odd dollars from Petmeds.
gsdluvr and Agaribay805 like this.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)

Last edited by DutchKarin; 08-25-2016 at 10:55 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:32 PM
Crowned Member

I don't use spot ons....my vet showed me the tick that causes lymes and it is the size of a pepper grind flake. I do give Ivomec regularly for heartworm and spray on a flea/tick holistic essential oil spray. Recently, one of my dogs showed extreme pain, and the vet thought it may be lyme disease. Negative thankfully, but it did make me re-think my pest protocol. I hate the less is more, because when we do this, we are shortcutting the protection. Yet the alternative could cause more problems.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 12:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaribay805 View Post
Hi guys so Im really confused about flee medication. I have never found a flee or a tick on my pup. She is about 9 months old now, I had her since she was 2 months old.

Are we suppose to buy those $60 flee pills every month? Even if you dont see any flees or biting/scratching? Thanks guys..
Mine are not on flea meds. They don't have them. However with the first sighting of a flea I will put them on these meds. Hasn't happened in 20 years.I am not giving them that poison for no reason.
The only time I used it as preventative was when a new foster dog came in.
Cats seem to bring them in mostly.
cloudpump likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page