2 year old female GSD chewing everything - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

2 year old female GSD chewing everything

So our 2 year old female spayed GSD has started chewing anything and everything in the last couple months. I have no idea why. i am a stay at home mom so she gets constant attention from me and the kids. There always playing with her and im always loving and cuddling and petting her. She has PLENTY of toys she plays with and chews. I can leave for an hour or two and come back to a disaster which is what happened today and im at my whits ends. She has been pulling books from the book shelf and shredding them!! She also pulled out the paint stirring sticks from the bag which was on the counter and chewed them. She also opened the bag of paint rollers which was also on the counter in the bag and chewed one of them. What do i do??? its like she so pissed off we left so she chews everything And when i punish her for chewing which is me showing her what she chewed and telling her no no in a very stern voice she starts to growl at me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:57 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi, don't punish her after the fact - you have to catch her in the act for her to make the connection between the punishment and the behaviour. She doesn't understand why you are acting agressive towards her, thus the growling.

At two years old, she is maturing and as a working breed, she needs exercise for he body, and for her mind. Playing in the yard won't be enough. Long walks, hikes, open areas where she can run and run and run until she is so tired her tongue hangs to the ground. Swimming is also good exercise, but these only address the physical side of her needs.

You also need to exercise her mentally - her chewing stuff suddenly is sign that she is bored, and is trying to find stimulation by exploring new things. You need to provide that mental stimulation for her, so she doesn't do it for herself getting into stuff that could harm her. Sign up for obedience classes, agility, tracking, nose-work, dock diving - huge bonus is that these activities are fun for people too! Daily training sessions at home, find-it games, etc, will work to stimulate her mind.

To keep her safe for now, and for you to have peace of mind, start crating her if you leave her home unsupervised - she can't get into trouble and start chewing things up if she is crated - she isn't chewing things up to get back at you for leaving her, that is projecting human emotions onto dogs.

I can tell that she is much loved, but right now, she is being misunderstood, and her needs aren't being met. Work on giving her the mental and physical workout she craves, and things will get better - won't happen over night, but a majority of the time, behavioral issues are simply due to a lack of exercise - and remember, exercise her body AND her brain, both need to be put to work in a positive, productive way.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:08 PM

After posting the above, I was browsing the forum, and there is a thread going on right now about the importance of exercising dogs, and the behavioural issues that are connected to a lack of exercise:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post8036177
Chip18 and MineAreWorkingline like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

Ditto everything Lucia said.

Crate her, when you go out. She won't destroy anything. You get to maintain your sanity.
dogma13 likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeybaby View Post
So our 2 year old female spayed GSD has started chewing anything and everything in the last couple months. I have no idea why. i am a stay at home mom so she gets constant attention from me and the kids. There always playing with her and i'm always loving and cuddling and petting her.
And ... that right there is the at the heart of a lot of your "Issues." If your dog went to a proper board and train ... that would not be happening (to much affection.) The dogs life would be Structured, there would be Rules and there would be Limitations put on her and there would be "consequences" for her making Poor Choices! And the dog would learn how to deal with doing "Nothing." If the dog were not being trained or having play time she would be in a Crate ... deal with it dog. "Training" do "nothing" is the "Place Command." All that stuff my sound hard?? But I think I've outlined it all pretty well, so ... you can make that call.

If the dog is not Crate Trained it would behoove you to start with that. Since your a stay at home you have "flexibility" in how long she stays in the crate.

But two to three hours would be a good minimum and ... leave her alone while she is crated. When you take out go over the basics most likely "Place" to start then, take her and let her run or walk or whatever. If you have a back yard?? She can play out there also but when she is indoors??

No free roaming. Indoors she should be in her Crate or in Place ... period. No free Roaming and until "Places" is properly taught keep a drag leash on her indoors ... a short leash with the handle on it to get caught up on furniture. You used that to correct her if required and guide her back to "Place."

And no bed or furniture privileges those are privileges that need to be "earned" not rights freely given because she is your dog and "stuff."

This should be enforced for 30 to 90 days, I've heard that number given frequently, by Jeff and Sean and at the end of that time, you should have a more well mannered dog. And I'm not a "Pro but most of that is stuff I wound up doing by accident at the time .. worked out fine.

The rest and details can be found here:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/8006017-post7.html

And the to much affection thing .."Soft Energy" Weekly Q&A by Sean and Laura, ... that question was asked. :

Welcome aboard and as always ask questions.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Crowned Member

What has changed in the last couple of months?

Have you discussed this with your vet? Maybe there is a diet or nutritional need that is not being met or maybe some other medical need.

If there are no health problems, as other have suggested, definitely try upping her exercise. I would not do anything that would further restrict activity such as crating, as it most likely will work against you and increase her anxiety and stress. How much exercise does your dog need? As one trainer stated, if the behavior continues, your dog has not been exercised enough.

Just what are you doing for exercise right now?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Elite Member

My friends dog did this after not chewing for a long time. She started to eat her crate pan. Turns out she had tape worm. She did not look emaciated so no one would have thought something was wrong with her medically. After the worms were treated, she didn't chew on anything. Just something to consider if this behavior is not the norm for the dog.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 AM

eddie and MineAreworkingLine make a good point - first thing to consider whenever there is a change in behaviour could be medical.

Zoeybaby, crating your dog for those times you are away is not 'restricting' her in anyway, as how much exercise she gets in the house alone while you are out for a couple of hours is negligible. It will keep her safe, and prevent the behaviour you don't want.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
What has changed in the last couple of months?

Have you discussed this with your vet? Maybe there is a diet or nutritional need that is not being met or maybe some other medical need.

If there are no health problems, as other have suggested, definitely try upping her exercise. I would not do anything that would further restrict activity such as crating, as it most likely will work against you and increase her anxiety and stress. How much exercise does your dog need? As one trainer stated, if the behavior continues, your dog has not been exercised enough.

Just what are you doing for exercise right now?
I was also going to ask if a medical problem had been ruled out. A little odd that an adult dog with no previous history of this would suddenly start wrecking stuff? Unless you stopped exercising it?
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Crowned Member

Or have you started any new meds...my old male went on prednisone for itching and began to raid the trash for the first time in his life. So I would put him in the bedroom when we left. We tried a toddler lock on the trash cabinet first but he could also open that, crafty guy

If the dog is not crate trained, is there a room of the house that is safe, even a bathroom maybe, where the dog can't get into anything and practice bad behaviors? If it is crate trained, I agree to crate because you don't want the dog to keep doing this and there is no other way to put a stop to it if you aren't there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page