Where is a legit clean place my 10 month GSD Spaded - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Where is a legit clean place my 10 month GSD Spaded

hello my 10 month GSD just finished going through her first heat!

I want to get her spaded but I am curious where a good legit clean spot would be to get that done?
I live in Los Angeles, but I am willing to drive to Orange county if there is a good spot!

I am not trying to spend $700 to get her spaded, but I have heard of rescue hospitals that will spade your dog for a low donation ( $150)

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

wow - no wonder so many GSDs in shelters and dumped in CA!!!! $700 for a spay???

you might be better off going to Colorado and using that vet on Animal Planet!!!!!

Sorry I really can't be of any help - just astounded at that price!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:49 PM
Crowned Member

That's about what I pay, and I am in western Canada.

There are some fantastic rescues operating in your area. Reach out to any of them and they will help point you in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 06:09 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

*spayed*, not spaded.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member

When I lived there, there were vouchers to speuter that could be used at many, many vets if your dog came from a rescue. They may not have that county-wide program any more though.

I can't offer any personal recommendation of any of them, but there are LOTS of clinics that still free and low-cost services in Los Angeles -- here's a partial list:
Spay & Neuter | Los Angeles Animal Services

And another list of even more options:
Spay Neuter Los Angeles | NKLA

This one costs around $200, but they include go-home pain meds and an e-collar, which I think shows nice concern about after-care:
Prices ? SNP LA
(They also offer routine wellness care if you need it, at the same time...including $10 microchipping, which is also well worth the up-charge.)

If you go to a low-cost clinic, you DO want go-home pain meds for females. If they offer optional pre-surgery bloodwork for an upcharge, say "yes, please" (one high-volume spay/neuter clinic I know charges a mere $20 to add their surgery fee -- worth it!).

NOTE: In L.A., you shouldn't have to worry about vet students doing the surgeries because there isn't a vet school in the area as far as I know. HOWEVER, you might still ask and make sure the surgeons are all licensed DVMs, not vet students. I've seen vet students botch some speuter surgeries in horrific ways while doing rotations in animal shelters and low-cost clinics. Do NOT let a student do surgery, even under the supervision of a DVM. It's just not worth the risk. I have a $3,000 story about what a "free" spay cost our rescue when a student did it it in a shelter and nearly killed the dog.
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 07-23-2016 at 06:22 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
NOTE: In L.A., you shouldn't have to worry about vet students doing the surgeries because there isn't a vet school in the area as far as I know. HOWEVER, you might still ask and make sure the surgeons are all licensed DVMs, not vet students. I've seen vet students botch some speuter surgeries in horrific ways while doing rotations in animal shelters and low-cost clinics. Do NOT let a student do surgery, even under the supervision of a DVM. It's just not worth the risk. I have a $3,000 story about what a "free" spay cost our rescue when a student did it it in a shelter and nearly killed the dog.
We have one very small no kill shelter near us that uses vet students. They can't keep volunteers because of this. Some call it animal abuse.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
wow - no wonder so many GSDs in shelters and dumped in CA!!!! $700 for a spay???

you might be better off going to Colorado and using that vet on Animal Planet!!!!!

Sorry I really can't be of any help - just astounded at that price!

Lee
I like him. I would use him if I was in that area.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

Lee, I don't know where the OP got that number or what it includes, but that is not typical at all and many of the above mentioned low cost options still exist. $150-$300 is generally the ballpark for a large dog spay.
Sabis mom likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Master Member

http://snpla.org/prices/

Is this near you? If this doesn't work have you contacted local shelters and rescues? They might know of some resources for low cost spay.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 02:56 AM
Crowned Member

Dr. Moon, Sherman Oaks

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 07-24-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page