Neutering - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Neutering

I've been thinking about getting my GSD neutered as he is now just over 18 months. Is it a suitable age to undergo the procedure?
What are the benefits of getting a dog neutered? I've heard they calm down a bit, but also gain a lot of weight and are more prone to health risks. Is that all true?
The last thing I want to do is making my dog being more prone to things that can really harm him.

Thanks,
Chloe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeGSD View Post
I've been thinking about getting my GSD neutered as he is now just over 18 months. Is it a suitable age to undergo the procedure?
What are the benefits of getting a dog neutered? I've heard they calm down a bit, but also gain a lot of weight and are more prone to health risks. Is that all true?
The last thing I want to do is making my dog being more prone to things that can really harm him.

Thanks,
Chloe
There really is no benefit from neutering and you won't calm down a driven dog. Good training, management, called responsible ownership, is all you need to enjoy living with an intact dog. All of Europe does it and all the show dogs everywhere are intact.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 06:53 PM

I neutered Russ about 5 months ago. He was 3 in February. He's as wild as he's ever been, and hasn't gained any weight. He doesn't act or look any different than before he was neutered.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

The video is good. But I still do not believe that a dog can mate through a chain link fence. I have left intact dogs next to intact bitches, unsupervised with never an oops. And, I have witnessed dogs mating numerous times, and I just can't figure out how it could be possible. I mean a dog will turn, and stand tail to tail with a bitch after they are tied. But for a dog to turn his parts 180 and tie with a female backing into the other side of the fence -- no. Usually he has to have his head up by hers, holding onto her to prevent her from moving forward and give him the extra traction -- ok too much information -- just not happening.

I think I am going to do bloodwork on Odie to see if she is hypo-thyroid.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Crowned Member

Neuter when you are ready. You will find more here who don't neuter, but if you love in an area where it's required, you are better off doing it now. 18-24 months is the ideal window.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Chloe, I moved your thread to Basic Care. There are quite a few previous threads on the topic here.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
The video is good. But I still do not believe that a dog can mate through a chain link fence. I have left intact dogs next to intact bitches, unsupervised with never an oops. And, I have witnessed dogs mating numerous times, and I just can't figure out how it could be possible. I mean a dog will turn, and stand tail to tail with a bitch after they are tied. But for a dog to turn his parts 180 and tie with a female backing into the other side of the fence -- no. Usually he has to have his head up by hers, holding onto her to prevent her from moving forward and give him the extra traction -- ok too much information -- just not happening.

I think I am going to do bloodwork on Odie to see if she is hypo-thyroid.
Is a tie neccessary for conception though? I mean I know a proper tie greatly increased the chances, but I thought the males ejaculate in 3 parts with the sperm being in the second phase which takes place before the tie? An eager beaver could get some of his swimmers in there...

I mean youre probably way more likely to win big on a scratch off but I think it is biologically possible???
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I neutered Russ about 5 months ago. He was 3 in February. He's as wild as he's ever been, and hasn't gained any weight. He doesn't act or look any different than before he was neutered.
So why do it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
So why do it?

I hadn't planned on neutering him. I planned on showing him, but he never panned out. Better dogs out there. As time passed, he became increasingly difficult to live with when one of my bitches came into heat. The last straw was when my boyfriend was in the hospital with a collapsed lung (from an accident), and Carly was in heat, and Russ was having a massive meltdown 24/7. I had non-dog savvy family members in and out of my house at that time. I threw in the towel, called my breeder, said I'm making a vet appointment. I don't regret it.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Is a tie neccessary for conception though? I mean I know a proper tie greatly increased the chances, but I thought the males ejaculate in 3 parts with the sperm being in the second phase which takes place before the tie? An eager beaver could get some of his swimmers in there...

I mean youre probably way more likely to win big on a scratch off but I think it is biologically possible???
He CANNOT enter her through a fence. It isn't happening. Maybe he can clean himself, and lick her and pass a swimmer -- that would be more likely than entering her through a fence. They have a tough enough time doing this when all the stars are aligned and three people are helping. Ok, they will eventually experience the clouds and the rain without help, but not through a fence. This is one thing I won't believe without seeing it happen.

The reason so many people DO believe it, is because they have never seen dogs mate. Maybe they come home and find dogs tied. That isn't the same.

Dogs (and bitches) will dig under, climb over, chew through a fence if at all possible to get together. I've heard of them chewing through a wall. Never saw it though. Would NEVER trust a baby gate for keeping intact critters apart when one is in heat.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page