To bathe or not to bathe - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

To bathe or not to bathe

I have a 9 week old pup who seems to have really bad dandruff. I also just noticed on one of his elbows he has this yellow dry skin stuff???? And I dont know whether to wash it, scrub it, leave it alone??? I have been reading online and found so much information, but some say not to bathe your gsd all the time because they have sensitive skin and others say to get special shampoos and bathe often to help their skin... So I'm not sure what to do. We just got Zeus on July 4th and he has been to the Vet but we just noticed this dry skin. He has also been itching and when he does you can see the dandruff. I did use an Oatmeal shampoo on him but his coat still feels rough and his skin still feels dry. Any suggestions on special shampoos or supplements I should give him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 01:24 PM

What food is he currently being fed? One trick that I found to work with my pup in NY for dry skin was changing his diet and adding a scoop of coconut oil to it OR still changing the diet but gently rubbing a small coat of coconut oil to his fur/skin.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

He is currently on Hills Diet Puppy food for Large breed. It's what the Vet recommend. I will have to try the coconut oil. His coat is rough too, it's not soft and shiny like I feel a puppies coat should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Master Member

Hills is not a good brand. I fed mine Fromm Grain Free Large Breed Puppy and did good on it. Coconut oil supplement when fed will take a month or two to really take effect. As far as shampoos go I like 4-Legger. It's organic and does not contain toxic chemicals that can irritate your pups skin. Just try looking up the ingredient in your pups shampoo, I'll bet most of them will not sound like something you'd want to bathe your puppy with. Also be careful with oatmeal shampoos. If a dog has a grain allergy oatmeal shampoos won't help.

Check out Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor They rate food and you can look up various brands and check out the analysis for them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks... I will start with changing his food, and giving him a supplement.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 PM
Crowned Member

If you have a dog that is sensitive to grains, beware of GLUTEN BASED ingredients, with names that we do not recognize, that could be in the Doggie Shampoo that you are using!
WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).
OATMEAL: or avena sativa
BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)
RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

I have also recommended 4-Legger to people. You can order from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/4-Legger-Cert...t_aps_sr_pg1_2

For a rinse:
For a natural approach, Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, from a local health food store (NOT GNC) or Whole Foods type store, can help with dandruff and itching. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. Do not get into any open sores.
You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

You may find this thread interesting.
S.O.S Pale Gray Dandruff Skin on Back
Problem:
Originally Posted by reggieDJ:
Hi, My 4 year old shepherd has some sort of irritation on her ridge/back. Her coat lost all of its shine and looks like a coarse black cotton ball, definitely has a lot of dandruff in the irritated area and it sort of smells. Not like garbage musky, I can’t put a word to the smell.
Solution:
Originally Posted by reggieDJ:
Day 4 of the ACV apple cider vinegar and I kid you not, it’s gone and if I scratch her back she doesn’t shake her leg, just happily wager her tail. I’m going to continue for another day or two just in case.

Bramble is right....Hills is a very low quality food filled with cheap grain products. Your vet makes money on selling the stuff!

And another good suggestion from Bramble.....Fromm's is a great product. Store Locator: http://frommfamily.com/retailers/usa/#progress=2

Raw, Cold Pressed, Organic, Virgin, NO HEXANE, Coconut Oil is another great suggestion by mburitica! 1 teaspoon per 10 to 20 pounds per day (mixed into his food) divided between feedings and rubbed into his coat and on the elbows.

Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change. If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 07-10-2016 at 05:52 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much for all the suggestions. I was lost and confused...lol so much stuff online! I wasn't sure which way to go..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page