To bathe or not to bathe, and he's a shop dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By GatorBytes
  • 1 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By cloudpump

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

To bathe or not to bathe, and he's a shop dog

Hi, I have a 10 week old puppy that I bring to work everyday, I answer phones at an auto repair shop. It's a concrete floor that is dirty/dusty no matter how much you sweep. Is it that bad to bathe him at the end of each week? He gets to play outside after work which helps dust him off but the last couple Fridays I have washed him and the water is pretty dirty. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

Talk to a local groomer and see what they use as shampoo. Dogs get bathed weekly all the time

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

My thoughts are keep him crated at work to avoid him being contaminated with all the chemicals. He will groom and ingest this stuff. Watch out especially for anti-freeze and windshield wiper fluid.
wolfy dog likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

I'd be very scared of what's on the bottom of the shoes of the guys who work in the car bays when they come through the office. Those chemicals can be extremely toxic. I agree with Gatorbytes about crating him.

Otherwise, maybe get an x-pen and go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a length of artificial turf or outdoor carpet that's the size of the x-pen. Drop your piece of carpet and set up the x-pen as the pup's play area. The x-pen will keep people from walking on it, and the carpet will keep the pup off the floor. Roll it up at the end of the day so no one is tempted to walk on it when you leave.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Elite Member

My buddy owns a shop. He brings his boxer. But he keeps his dog out of the shop bays and leaves him in the office.
ATSDR - Public Health Statement: Used Mineral-based Crankcase Oil
There's grease, oil, gasoline, antifreeze, brake fluid, sharp metals/rust. Plus whatever solvent they use to clean the bays.
A gentle shampoo would work, but.....
wolfy dog likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Banned

They say to not bathe a GSD too often. I think once a month is fine. I like to take a wet towel with a drop of shampoo and just wipe them down to keep them smelling like pee.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 08:07 PM

I would say instead of using shampoo.. just put him in the tub of water... that should get most gunk off and wouldn't be too harsh on the puppy.. then towel dry him off

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
Follow & watch her grow [email protected]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would get a forced air blower to blow off the dirt - like a metro commander -I hardly ever have to bathe my dogs and Mr Beau is famous for his mud baths.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page