German Shepherds Forum banner

Best heartworm medication?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Seth&Co 
#1 ·
I have had my GSD on Trifexis since last March. Last Wednesday I gave him a new dose. By Friday night, it was obvious that he was over grooming and on Saturday in constant licking and grooming on his back.
I will take him tomorrow to the vet as I know it needs to be shaved and treated.

I feed raw and I have given him more rabbit than usual as I am waiting for new delivery of turkey and beef and I have rabbit (and duck) at the moment. I also gave him an egg a few days ago and I feed Orijen freeze dried treats and gave him boar treats this last week.

He has had all these foods before, but I usually feed raw with green tripe and was so tired last week at the end of the school year that I did not mix green tripe in the food. Could no tripe have affected his ability to digest so that it caused skin troubles?

I am thinking it could be the Trifexis, but he's had that before too. I would like to figure this out--obviously. I know he is allergic to venison as that is the only other time he had a skin reaction. I can't remember if the problem occurred around the time I gave Trifexis. I am going to start keeping a food journal in case this happens again.

Besides any feedback about the above info, what is the safest heart worm medication? Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I dont' really understand the connection between your story and the trifexis but I use Interceptor. Just trying Interceptor Plus that also kills tapeworms (which we've never, ever had but the vet was so excited about that).

I can use Heartgard for my one dog but the other gets Interceptor as a precaution.

I use Advantix and the Seresto collar (depending on the dog) for fleas and ticks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.