When is it okay to take my GSD pup to the park or on walks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

When is it okay to take my GSD pup to the park or on walks?

I have a 15 week old puppy GSD and she just got her final set of shots today. I was told by some people that I should stay away from places where other dogs have urinated or "pooped" at until she gets her last set of shots because if the poop or pee is infected with something it could make her sick if she happened to lick it or put something bad in her mouth. So when I went to go get her final shots today I was really excited because I've been looking forward to taking her on walks and parks. I feel like she is so bored and I want to tire her out somewhere (I live in a apartment). The bad news is that my vet said I should wait at least 3-4 more weeks to be safe. This really just ruined my mood because I really want to take her on walks and maybe play fetch. I can only do so much in my living room. When did you guys let your pups go to public areas or on walks around the neighborhood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:55 PM

Perhaps the area where you reside is a high risk area for diseases dangerous to your pup?I always felt safe taking mine out and about after the second set of shots.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Crowned Member

Our vet said 1 week after the final shots to be covered. The vaccination results are incremental, so after the first set of shots, they might be covered 30% or the might be 100%. After the final shots they may not have 100% immunity but it's a lot higher than it was. Vaccines don't give them immunity. They trigger the puppy's immune system to create antibodies. So the effectiveness is a combination of factors and the time isn't absolute. If you are very worried, go to places like Home Depot if yours allows dogs, where you are less likely to run into dog diseases than at a park or pet store.

Our socialization schedule was all messed up due to the vet, some possible illnesses and other things. We still aren't on the schedule I wanted due to changes in training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Elite Member

There are lots of pros and cons either way. The puppies NEED to be socialized before 12 weeks, and certainly before 16 weeks because by 4 months there can be problems after that with puppies being so suspicious of everything and everyone they didn't see in that important time period.
I am sorry but I disagree with this way of thinking. Puppies HAVE to have exposure to daily things in life, new people ,new sounds, new sights.. I take my puppies out starting after first shots, not to dog parks, not to parks with dogs, but to areas where they can see people,maybe get a few goodies from strangers that I have in my pocket. Maybe see dogs , but not sniff them. Even walking on the street exposes them to cars, kids, etc. Noises, lawnmowers, things in the sky. Short walks, but interesting walks.
Yes, I worked for vets for 35 years, yes ,I know the speil and the dangers, but I have never had a puppy come down with parvo from early socialization but have had puppies that love people, are not afraid of things, sounds etc. I don't give a flying fig if my dog ever goes to a dog park and don't feel my dog needs to be "playmates" to other dogs. As long as they can accept normal everyday things, can realize that people in hats, coats, sunglasses, kids on bikes, on skateboards and all noises are normal, that is what I want.
I know there will probably be lots of negative on this post, but remember one thing. You can keep that puppy home till its had 3 sets of shots and is 16 weeks old to protect it against parvo (or whatever) but if you,during this most important socializing time, go ANYWHERE, to petsmart, Petco, petsop, grocery store, Walmart
and someone walks in the store with parvo germs on their shoes, you can walk through it, into your house and BAM, your puppy is exposed to Parvo. I would rather have a well socialized puppy than one afraid of its own shadow.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 10:19 AM

We live in Brooklyn and started walking our pup after his second round of DPP. He had been stuck inside for about a month, but the vet suggested that it'd be alright to walk him around the neighborhood following that second shot. She did, however, recommend avoiding dog parks and being vigilant about poop on the sidewalks.

That said, depending on where you're located, there should be socialization parties. Basically a bunch of people bring their puppies of similar vaccination levels to a training place and the pups play for a couple hours. Seems like you're able to bring your dog out by now, but maybe this is helpful for others who encounter this thread.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:05 AM
Elite Member

What is the most current canine vaccination schedule recommendation, or website? I am assuming I will be bringing ginger my future pup home at about 10 weeks of age. There is some conflicting info out there regarding vaccinations.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:47 AM
Elite Member

I should add that I live in Costa Rica, where my dogs were not only required to have the four core vaccines, but lepto, which I was not happy about. Since my dogs never run free, I am not worried too much about lepto here, although we do occasionally see sloths and agouti in the yard.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:06 PM

My pup is 17 weeks. I started taking her for walks down two streets of my neighborhood after her second round of shots but keeping her on pavement and away from poop and grass. She got her third round of shots at 16 weeks so I waited one week before taking her to the park for the first time, and now I'm letting her go pretty much everywhere except a pet store and the dog park until her parvo booster at five months.

I think "technically" I pushed it, but I felt risk vs reward (staying on pavement and limited neighborhood streets to get my pup socialized) was worth it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Elite Member

I'd start taking your pup out for leash walks right away. You can control what she takes into her mouth when she is on leash (kind of). I pulled a lot of poop out of my pup's mouth when she was young. It's important for her to be in the world asap which doesn't mean she should have direct contact. Off leash play at a park is important too in another couple weeks provided the environment is safe and you can keep her out of trouble. You'll find out soon most dogs don't like gsd's and it's best to avoid bad contacts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
I'd start taking your pup out for leash walks right away. You can control what she takes into her mouth when she is on leash (kind of). I pulled a lot of poop out of my pup's mouth when she was young. It's important for her to be in the world asap which doesn't mean she should have direct contact. Off leash play at a park is important too in another couple weeks provided the environment is safe and you can keep her out of trouble. You'll find out soon most dogs don't like gsd's and it's best to avoid bad contacts.
Can you tell me more about this? "You'll find out soon most dogs don't like GSDs"... Experiencing that with my puppy and don't have any experience with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page