Dumb grooming question - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Dumb grooming question

Can you brush your dog too often? I brush Ranger for 10 to 15 minutes every 1 to 2 days. I use a rake and get a bunch of fur out everytime so now I am wondering if my brushing habit is actually encouraging fur growth and increasing shedding in the long run?

See, I told you it was a dumb question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

Not at all I also brush my dog daily and I use a rake also (after a massage with a rubber curry comb, then the rake, then a body brush). My dog enjoys it and it keeps his coat looking nice. I'd rather do it daily and have less hair to pick up, as it is going to grow and shed regardless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Not at all I also brush my dog daily and I use a rake also (after a massage with a rubber curry comb, then the rake, then a body brush). My dog enjoys it and it keeps his coat looking nice. I'd rather do it daily and have less hair to pick up, as it is going to grow and shed regardless.

Thanks! I will have to look up "rubber curry comb" and "body brush". Do you remmeber where you got them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Crowned Member

I got one at Petco on sale. They were discontinuing them.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

The question makes sense. To be honest I don't brush mine often at all, more during shedding time but still not even weekly and the coats are great. I mainly try to remove the dead fur. Someone recommended the equigroomer(I think that is the name). I ordered it and used it the other day, it worked great and the dogs liked it.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_mom View Post
Thanks! I will have to look up "rubber curry comb" and "body brush". Do you remmeber where you got them?
At a farm equipment store like Tractor Supply, Runnings, Fleet Farm in the pony & goat supply area. They can be ordered online from Valley Vet and KV Vet Supply. They are smaller than the full size ones used for horses. I use the curry comb in circular motions light to medium pressure to loosen the hair and to massage. Then the rake. Then the body brush, I brush in the direction of the coat with soft smooth strokes. I use a dog comb to clean the hair out the body brush but a regular wide tooth comb would work also.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
The question makes sense. To be honest I don't brush mine often at all, more during shedding time but still not even weekly and the coats are great. I mainly try to remove the dead fur. Someone recommended the equigroomer(I think that is the name). I ordered it and used it the other day, it worked great and the dogs liked it.
I just really started brushing everyday in the past month or 2, ever since it warmed up and I started working in the garden everyday. I just started adding brushing to my daily routine while Ranger was out there with me. Prior to that i would brush roughly once a week. It doesn't seem that Ranger's coat is any nicer since I started brushing everyday. He had a really nice coat and he still does. But I am amazed that no matter how often I brush I seem to get an amazing amount of fur out everytime. That is what got me to wondering if the daily brushing was stimulating hair growth and making things worse.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
At a farm equipment store like Tractor Supply, Runnings, Fleet Farm in the pony & goat supply area. They can be ordered online from Valley Vet and KV Vet Supply. They are smaller than the full size ones used for horses. I use the curry comb in circular motions light to medium pressure to loosen the hair and to massage. Then the rake. Then the body brush, I brush in the direction of the coat with soft smooth strokes. I use a dog comb to clean the hair out the body brush but a regular wide tooth comb would work also.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Update (as if you care)

It is now a month or so later and I can say without a doubt that daily brushing has made his coat gorgeous. We went on vacation for 10 days so he did not get brushed then. When I got home I noticed that his fur was getting very thick and fluffy again especially around his neck. I have been home about a week and daily brushing has gotten it under control again. His fur is so sleek and soft now. I have also noticed that I can pet and hug him without getting covered in fur. My experiment in daily brushing is a big success.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 AM

Thank you for your dumb question. I had it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page