Help with fleas. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Help with fleas.

It's not a full blown infestation...yet, but we use K9 Advantix II and we started noticing a flea here and there last month. Now I'm noticing quite a few more, even live ones on the dogs.

Been vacuuming and washing as much as possible, but not getting anywhere. What products do you suggest for the house and yard to help kill the cycle? Also, has anyone heard about K9 Advantix II not working lately? (I know a couple years ago Frontline wasn't doing so well.)

GAH I HATE FLEAS. Thinking about bombing and using capstars the day before/of/after the bombing but I feel like I still need to spray something all over the furniture and stuff. I don't know...HELP

Riley - February 14, 2013 - Rescued Mutt.
Leo - October 5, 2014 - Half GSD / Half Pit / All Ears

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 PM

Firstly, vacuuming and washing was a clever move.
I've always thought that nexgard works better than advantix or other liquid topicals like Frontline.
Why don't you switch to nexgard and hire a fumigator?

Have 2 dogs, 2 cats (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Love
1. Petbucket :

2. Organic Shampoo for dry skin :

Hate :
1. Overcharging vets
2. Animal abusers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Knighted Member

Frontline and Advantix do not work anymore. We get Nexgard from the vet and it does the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

When I lived in FL, I was using Advantix II on the dogs and made the mistake of using frontline on the in & out cats. Now, in FL the fleas arelike Chernobyl monsters. Could not believe how much bigger than pleasant little New England fleas.

Anyway, we got fleas. Could not believe it was happening to me, I always took good care of the animals and had them on preventative.

Here is what it took for me:

All dogs were on Advantix AND Comfortis for a few months. Switched the cats I think to advantage. I bought some terrible toxic spray that was for the house, cracks along baseboards and so on. Had to kick all the animals out for a day while I sprayed the house and then aired it out. I went crazy washing absolutely eveyrthing that would go in the washing machine a d bought another type of spray to use on the innards of the dog beds that could not wash. It was specifically labelled to be used on dog beds. I did eradicate them but I think there were more than 1 episode of washing/spraying ect. Was a nightmare. Good luck

I think I wound up using Certifect until we left FL (up here it is the ticks)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Elite Member

I was not impressed with Advantix II and ticks. Was finding live engorged ticks after 3 weeks. So I switched to Nexguard. First two doses, a little diarrhea but not on the third. Seems okay. Hate having to give anything, but I hate ticks more.

Best

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:00 AM
Banned

Some people say Seven dust (outside), DE (Demetrius Earth) and Garlic (dog/inside)....

One might think I despise chemicals! Others might think I'm crazy! Both might be right...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipopro View Post
Some people say Seven dust
OMG.......NO SEVIN (Carbaryl/1naphthyl methylcarbamate)From landscape products!!!!

THIS FORM WOULD BE POISONOUS TO DOGS!

Pharmaceuticals dilution rate for Carbaryl
(used in some flea/tick products) is a thousand times or more than the Sevin you purchase at Home Depot as a garden pesticide!!! (my husband has a pesticide license)

Food Grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth)
(NOT DE for swimming pools) is a natural powder made up of fossilized remains of aquatic organisms which act like "shard glass" to dry up and cut the bodies of fleas and ticks (but not the dog).

Fresh Garlic Dosage:

Dr. Pitcairn (author of The Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats) recommends the following amount of fresh garlic for dogs, according to their size:
  • 10 to 15 pounds - half a clove
  • 20 to 40 pounds - 1 clove
  • 45 to 70 pounds - 2 cloves
  • 75 to 90 pounds - 2 and a half cloves
  • 100 pounds and over - 3 cloves
I've used fresh garlic for years on multiple dogs!

There is also a product called Spring Time BUG OFF which is a powdered Garlic used by many on this blog: https://www.springtimeinc.com/produc...og-Supplements

Moms
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 03:35 PM

Okay. First give capstar. Then secure the babies in a non carpeted area, ike the garage. Borax can be toxic. Then take borax and coat everything in it. All over the floors furniture everything. Let that sit for 8 hours. Or over night. Wash all linens including curtains with borax.Then take a can of indoor flea spray and spray your base boards and window seals. Then after 8 hours. Vacuum up the borax. And steam clean carpets if possible. Then get your babies on something like trifexus. Never even seen a flea on my baby since I started using it. Capstar only worked about 24 hours but it's enough time to make sure your house and babies are Flea free. We had a serious infestation of fleas when we moved into an apartment one time. Tried everything and this worked amazingly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

@ dutchkarin

I had the same experience with Advantix II, live engorged ticks.

Right now we are using Vectra 3d, fingers crossed, so far so good.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Elite Member

Just started Bravecto here this year, one tablet even my picky eater ate and good for 3mos tick and fleas.. Ticks are the main problem and thus far, outstanding control.. We will see if it lasts 3mos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page