Tick repellent spray? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Tick repellent spray?

I live in the woods in NW new Jersey and the ticks are horrendous this year. My pup wears a collar and it does work great. I either find them unattached or they're dead on the floor. My concern is they still get on to her so I end up finding them on the house or crawling on me! Is there a spray that is dog friendly that prevents ticks from even wanting to catch a ride on my dog?

I'm not sure if this exists, but I'm concerned about lyme transmission to myself, my cat, or my family. I check myself avidly after hikes, but I find them crawling on me after a shower hours later in fresh clothing.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 08:02 AM
Crowned Member

I use Natural Chemistry flea & tick spray. My local pet store carries it and you can order it online. It's natural, so you don't have to worry about interactions with your regular tick meds. And it smells great too. It lasts about 7 days. I spray it on the dog before we go hiking and on myself as well. It makes a huge difference.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 10:01 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

We're about to travel with the dogs into an area with a lot of tick disease. My vet scripted out a box of NexGuard chewables for us to use for the dogs. It's apparently working very well against ticks.

If you just want a repellent, Wondercide makes a cedar-oil based spray for dogs and for people. It smells really good. I don't have any experience in heavy tick areas with it, but it's labeled for ticks. It works well here against mosquitoes. You might reach out to them to see about getting a small sample bottle to try before you place a big order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page