Fleas. Never thought I would ask for advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Fleas. Never thought I would ask for advice

How do you treat a car for fleas. Fabric seats.

Not me. My daughter has let a flea problem out of control and I am going down this weekend to help her tackle it. This is a BAD infestation and I am pulling out the chemicals because she also got roaches..it is a rental and the house came with both problems but she did not attack them with the necessary vigor. She did try more natural methods but this is beyond that at this point. On the side note I also have to take care of a yellowjacket nest (I am an old pro at that one) and she has fire ants too. Eeeeeek.

Anyway - the house, the yard I am good. Know what to do because I have had, over the years, some resistant fleas (these are cat fleas, btw, worse than dog fleas - JMO) - BUT - I have NEVER had my car infested with fleas. We also once rented a house with those big roaches and I used boxes of borax on that problem.

What the heck do you do with a CAR? You can't really set off a bug bomb. [/COLOR]

Right now her cat is being boarded at the vets and de-flead.

NOT looking forward to this. Have to take Beau as well (ack) but he will stay in his crate in the truck - won't even take him out of the truck to potty but will go elsewhere [figure we will all go to the park while the house is fumigating then spend the night in a motel]. I will pick up some Capstar on my way down and dose him and keep up with it for a few days..the Springtime works for him but this is "special" ..Don't want to bring them back!

Would leave Beau with my husband but he just had rotator cuff surgery and Beau is, well Beau.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Master Member

I would just spray it with a good, reliable premise spray. And I'd spray it again ten days later. And probably again ten days after that. Canada has strict rules on bug sprays so what we have here is probably different than what you have but the stuff I use is aerosol and the active ingredients are (s)-methoprene 0.078% and permethrin 0.8%. I hate using chemicals but when there are fleas I want them gone. This stuff has never failed me. Once it is dry it is safe to be around. I'd thoroughly spray and leave the windows down for an hour or two.
Fleas need to feed off of something, so with no host and no food, I can't imagine a car would be a huge issue to fix.
What a nightmare, I HATE fleas. Hate them, hate them, hate them.
Good luck with the house.

Eli GSD - RN RA RE RAE SD-S SCRB1 HIC CGN TEC
Riot GSD - RN RA RE SD-S SD-A HIC CGN
Cajun GSD - Evie All Canadian - Sweetie APBT - Logan ACD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Knighted Member

Can you leave your truck parked down the street a bit and shower + change clothes before you get back in your truck?

Pain in the butt to walk, but worth avoiding the risk.

I would take the car in to be thoroughly detailed after being sprayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjC1HRIGhI

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

Nancy, I would call the professionals for this one. They have access to things we don't.
And you could easily catch them and have your own house infested. When I hired a dog sitter in my house got infested with fleas, the exterminator had me pick up everything off the carpet and he sprayed every inch of my house. He said that flea infestations are the only ones where exterminators actually spray down their legs after leaving a client's house.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Crowned Member

Jocoyn, if there is carpet, you will have to address that too! Fleas are the worst, I wish you luck! AND, its nice to know that everyone here needs advice..

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Elite Member

why can't you use a bug bomb in your car? we did last time we were infested with fleas like 5 years ago. it worked out fine. the car was funny looking on the street for a few hours with smoked windows.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I may call a professional and get an estimate. I have certainly handled some house infestations before and would bomb the attic, all rooms and the crawlspace as well as treat the perimeter and the yard.

Part of her problem is her yard outside is constantly wet in one spot. It is leaky water pipe on the utility side and they know about it but it is too small beans in their opinion to deal with. The homeowner is the one that needs to push that and she is an inexperienced landlord having bought the house for herself then moved away.

You know I read that you should not bomb a car and I gather because it is such an enclosed space. Can't be worse than insect sprays though I may try something more nontoxic. She has asthma so......

Fortunately no carpet - old wood floors and tile. I had already given her DE as her first line of defense but I am not sure how thorough she was. Clutter is part of the problem as is lack of regular vacuuming. Going to have a cleaning lecture.

I can't really park my car down the street as it is a through street with no place to park and I don't want Beau out of sight in the back. For me, I will spray my clothes and her clothes with permethrin (or whatever it is you use for clothes...I use it for me for ticks on my clothing, not skin) and our exposed skin with DEET. When I get him home he will get a Dawn bath outside before I take him in the house. I think with that and the CAPSTAR we will be safe. Will also take care of anything in the back of the truck.

Thanks for suggestions.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

I have heard great things about Knock Out brand spray.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Elite Member

you don't need a professional. juat need to get in gear. bomb the house and car. wash everything, even clean stuff. flee comb the dogs and cats every day, bomb everything again and repeat. pain in the ass to get rid of but what i do works.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

She is going to have to get in gear and I sure hope she does .

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page