Running with your GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Running with your GSD

This might be in the wrong forum so if it needs to be moved, feel free. For those of you that run with your GSD's, how do you do it? I mean, do you let them run out front or to the side of you. Jerry Lee was approved by his physical therapist to run up to 3 miles with me. Of course, when I run, he is slowly trotting besides me I would also like your suggestions on what is the best hands free leash I can use. Thanks.

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Mine run slightly infront or right next to me. I hold the leash.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Knighted Member

Hi, I run with my dog all the time and he actually seems to really like it. First off, he has a good foundation of not pulling at all on walks. This translates well with running. Over the course of running, he learned 'right', 'left', and he knows 'whoa' from hiking. He and I have developed a natural rhythm, as you will too if you are consistent enough.

As for leashes, I use a nice lighter good quality leather leash that is braided at both ends. I would never use a hands-free leash with a big dog. If something were to happen, I don't need to go down and get hurt. I have moose and deer and turkeys, etc, all of which he has learned to ignore, but I still prefer to have it in my hand. If it's icy, they can slip, or I can slip. He is still a dog, and something may spark a reaction that never has before. Or a human may cause an issue-- or a dog running out. IMHO I think it's a terrible idea to run with a leash attached to any part of me. This way, if something happens, I can drop the leash.

Good luck, make sure the dog enjoys the runs. Build up slowly. Check paws and watch for heat stress. My dog can run up to 10 miles without water, but not in the heat of summer, really. Depends on how long it takes you to run it.

~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll just hold the leash since we already almost had an incident when Jerry Lee saw a kid kick a soccer ball and tried to go after it. We would probably never be out more than 40 minutes max and only in cool weather. Our max time out so far has been 20 minutes. He is getting better about not cutting in front of me and trying to pee on everything. He seems like he enjoys it. I hope he does.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:51 PM

Well put RocketDog. I also use a light [1/2" wide x 6"] leash and I hold the leash.
I can only add the same to RD's comments about stress. Go slow, always check paws. If your dog wants to rest while you are trying to figure out endurance, let him, he will be back in a few moments. I also swim [close to shore] with Hoby, when I tread water he swims around me in a circle. When all is said and done and he is not done I offer a ball or disc for some finishing last sprints. Have fun.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:54 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Can I ask a stupid question? Is he seeing a physical therapist for a reason?

Most adult GSD can handle a 3 Mile run with zero buildup and conditioning. It's a non issue. Unless they have been severely neglected.

Just wondering if your boy had an injury or issue that could be a concern.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Crowned Member

My gal never "runs" beside me while I ride the bike....I am rather impressed how fast they can move without ever going into a "run".

GSDs are trotters and if their structure is proper they can trot faster than most humans can run for most any distance.

I require that my dog trots off to my left side...loose leash equal with my legs...I guess I feel it is somewhat important to keep track of the position of my shepherd at this gait as it gives me better control if a situation should arise.

SuperG
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Not a stupid question at all. He has elbow dysplasia and gets acupuncture, laser therapy and water treadmill for it and is also getting Adequan shots. We also just started working on the big peanut. She (the vet) said he should have no problem going 3 miles. His hips are good. So what exactly should I be checking his paws for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Can I ask a stupid question? Is he seeing a physical therapist for a reason?

Most adult GSD can handle a 3 Mile run with zero buildup and conditioning. It's a non issue. Unless they have been severely neglected.

Just wondering if your boy had an injury or issue that could be a concern.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Master Member

I usually run with friends so Lola is always to my left side in a non formal heel. Occasionally I'll let her run out in front but if it's only just me and her. She also knows left and right which is a huge help when running so I don't have to break pace.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbella999 View Post
So what exactly should I be checking his paws for?
Always check the pads for damage, nails for splits and in between the toes for debris while breaking in your dog to run. They sweat through their paws. Consider when possible running your dog on a soft surface at the beginning. Tuff paw pads will develop. Also, in the winter, even though ice is dangerous, ice with air in it is real bad as this type of ice can cut a pad like a knife. Happy Trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page