Have you thanked your Veterinarian lately? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Have you thanked your Veterinarian lately?

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more. | Claws Carefully Sheathed

I know many of us tend to be critical of our animals veterinary care. I'm guilty of this too, so I wanted to share this article. After reading it the other day, I brought my vet some cookies, partially out of guilt and mostly because I do value her.
Today we had an emergency visit(Sunday am) and my vet accommodated us within minutes. She could have sent me to the local ER, but didn't.
Thankfully it was only very painful muscle spasms, not the dreaded hemangio or meningitis I was so afraid of with the symptoms presenting.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:05 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I'm glad that Karlo is okay (I'm assuming it was for Karlo?). After what you just went through with him. That article is poignant - I don't think I could be a vet and deal with what they have to deal with all the time.

When Keeta was sick and I took her in to emergency, the vet on call left her family and little kids to tend to Keeta, then stayed the entire night at the clinic, trying to sleep in an office chair, as Keeta needed constant supervision. This vet didn't know me, didn't know Keeta, but did everything she could under her ability to try and get Keeta through the night, and Keeta made it.

I was so impressed with that kind of dedication. When you patients can't tell you what's wrong, trying to figure out how to make them better is a real skill.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My vet was up all last night with her sick son...took him to ER at 3 am and then had to go to the 24 hr pharmacy for meds...just to have me texting her at 9 for help. She has been in contact all day thru texting as well. Above and beyond is right! We chatted a bit about the burnout for vets. She said the suicide rate is growing among them.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:44 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I went on an after hours home euthanasia call with one of my vets yesterday. We actually discussed this article at length because it made a huge impression on her.

I have the honor of working with some very dedicated vets. Everyday I see the wear on their faces. They never work a strict 8 hr day, they take emergency calls, clients have their cell phone numbers.

They spend an entire day in appointments or surgery and then have to stay late to return phone calls of the spouses of the appointments because they don't understand what was told to the other one. Or they have to explain why bloodwork is needed to refill meds, or listen to irate people blame them for the declining health of their pet because they can afford treatment.

I see them miss personal appointments and time away from the clinic because a client needs a call back, and a receptionist needs a question answered, and a tech needs clarification on a treatment plan. I watch their faces fall when they realize they are 2 hours past their time to leave.

I know the crushing debt they are in. I see them struggle to make ends meet, same as me. And I see how bad they feel when they can't or won't give away services and get called heartless monsters who only want money.

I personally get so angry when I read some of the hurtful things people write about vets on this board and elsewhere. I live it everyday. I understand the burnout. And it breaks my heart.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

I have always thanked my vet over the years......especially after doing the final deed. My vet had tears in her eyes the last two times...so it's only fitting to thank them for assisting in sending my dogs to a better place...It can't be any fun being a vet under those circumstances regardless if they have euthanized a bazillion pets.

SuperG
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you for posting this. I am sure many of us have no idea it is so very taxing.

I used to bake cookies and bring them to my vet when I lived up north. We moved down here, and our lives got so much busier. But I'm going to bake a batch tomorrow and bring it to my new vet.

Just because.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

I did not realize that they lead the professions in suicide. That's terrible.

I have had some bad advice from vets over the years. Sometimes it is rather raw, if there is obvious negligence, at least initially. But generally, I take it that a vet's knowledge is over a broad spectrum of disease and injury of critters of many breeds and species. And how they diagnose, there are some that run a bunch of tests first, before any treatment, and others that give it their best educated and experienced guess and treat it as such, and if there is no improvement, then they go deeper into the testing etc. This way, will be easier on the pocketbook for the clients, and will be effective most of the time. It is a balance. And people have to accept that there are margins of error.

Normally, I stick up for vets. People complain about how they are all in it for the money. But your average vet has more education and more overhead and more stress than most engineers and make probably 1/2 to 2/3s what an engineer makes on average. So, bad choice if you are in for the dough.

Do I think that sometimes they push products and procedures because of money? Yes, sometimes. The vet techs and the various services must be paid, the mortgage, taxes, utilities, loans. Mostly though, I don't think that they are pushing things solely for the revenue, but because they think, overall it is a good idea, spay/neuter, flea preventives, vaccines, foods they might be selling -- yes, Science Diet and Iams are junk, but it is better than Ole Roy, and a lot of the dogs that veterinarians see are being fed Ole Roy, or Tractor Supply's big bag of Dog Food.

Cujo passed in the vet's office. He was passing as the vet came in, and she did not need to administer the juice. They have euthanized a couple of my dogs over the years. I am sure they witness a LOT of grief. They will not euth unless they feel it is the right thing to do. And that, perhaps is helpful. If you know that the critter is suffering, and you can end the pain. It has to be just as awful to put an old or weak critter through invasive procedures and surgeries and treatments trying to eek out so much more life in them.

It shouldn't all be black and dark though. They laugh and joke in there, they have good working relationships with each other, they see puppies and pets that are far from dying, and they sometimes bring much happiness to people by helping a critter through something bad.

I did not read about Dr. Yin because I had never heard of her, and the fact that she was dead was not something I was going to get into, having never heard of her. Finding out that she killed herself, that is awful, and now she matters to me, and her death matters to me. Why is that?

I do appreciate my vets. I do not always go with what they say, but probably 98%. Sometimes I think they are charging an awful lot. And sometimes I really am thankful that they have taught me to give injections, tube feed, have come in on Sunday because my bitch was hemorraging, gave me their cell number, and so forth.

I wanted to be a vet when I was growing up. Perhaps the way things worked out was for the best. When you add it all up, it's a pretty sucky job all in all, and then people diss you on top of it all.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

I thanked not only the vet but the vet techs too for taking care of Brennan. I thought as I was sitting there Saturday that I would like to do something for them.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

As a tech, really, an honest thank you card, naming people is great. Let's is know you noticed us(techs). And food. Food is always good.

Some of the most memorable things I have gotten were very personal. A 4 leafed clover with the paw print if my favorite GSD on it, and a card congratulating me on getting my puppy.

But a picture in a frame of your boy with a personal thank you note, WILL be cherished and displayed. Trust me, all the heck, is forgotten when you feel noticed and appreciated.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for sharing that gsdsar! I was going to ask, what is a nice thank you gesture? I wouldn't want to leave anyone out. And I have to say, some of the staff may not want the temptation of goodies....
In my clinic, I know they are extremely overworked and busy, it is a hectic environment.
I try to go in and out without wasting their precious time. Usually I have to wait and between the phone ringing and other interruptions, I can see why mistakes can be made in communication.
Then the sales reps are never ending in appearing so the staff has to accommodate them and the UPS driver bringing in supplies to the waiting room.
I think the staff is grateful when a client doesn't take up their time....but some clients feel like they aren't important when that happens.
Balancing act.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page