Build Muscle w/bad hips? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Build Muscle w/bad hips?

So, Loki's hips aren't the greatest, but they're not the worst. She's still trim and in perfect health, but I've noticed our daily walks/ball sessions/tug sessions are just not cutting it for her. Vet said being trim and muscled would be the best for her in the later years---not sure if that's true, but this vet has worked with Sheps before--only one around me I could find with 'extensive' knowledge.

I can try swimming, but she's normally not up for that, and it's getting cold quick down my way. I'd be worried about colds/pneumonia and such. We do some light jogging, but anything truly extensive and she starts to bunny hop, and I try to avoid getting her hips into that bad of a situation. There's a local park that I can take her too that allows her to run after her balls, and its a large area, so that where we normally go for our ball sessions. Not much area to hike around here, though.

She's on Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, four cups a day. She could maybe loose three or four pounds, but nothing heavy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Underwater treadmill. Sit-to-stands, hill walking.

Find a good rehab place and see if they can give you good excersises for her.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Ball play became difficult for Alexis as she got older and the arthritis got worse (she is severely dysplastic) so we did a lot of free walking, hiking, just easy moving around. Now that she is 11.5 if I exercise her too much she is sore and if I don't exercise her enough she is sore. Still do free exercise and I will toss a ball for her a short distance here and there. I don't remember if I ever took her swimming. I think I used to.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page