Crates, Pros & Cons how many owners crate. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Location: Clio, California, close to anyway. Live in a remote mountain area.
Crates, Pros & Cons how many owners crate.

Do you crate your dog? Reasons why. In travelling or at home, or both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Elite Member

Yes, because the dog is young and has D R I V E.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

Every dog I have had has been crate trained and that will always be the case. It is safer and less stressful for them in emergencies.
At home they are crated dependent on personality and training level. Sabi was hardly ever crated, her BFF Lex was crated when we had guests. Bud and Shadow are on crate and rotate to prevent fights, he is fairly insistent that she does not need a head, and Shadow is crated while I am at work to prevent her standing on the stove and climbing bookshelves to chase shadows. Kiera was crated while I worked after she dove through a pane of glass. Any rescues I have are crated until personalities are determined.
When my old house caught fire we saved all 9 dogs by simply carrying their crates outside where neighbors dragged them a safe distance. When the gas stove ignited I yelled kennel and all of them dove for crates. How much longer would it have taken to find leashes and collars and folks to hold them safely? As it was we had us and the dogs out in under 3 minutes. We shoved the crates out the door and the neighbors just dragged them out to the sidewalk.
When I travel the dogs are crated in the vehicle and in motels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Elite Member

I started crate training in 1986 on the advice of a friend & never looked back.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:22 PM

My dogs have crates in both vans, in the kitchen for feeding, and I have crates I keep at the place I do agility, also xtra crates in the one van for going to trials. Baby dog has a crate in the bedroom. I use mostly wire, I have 3 soft sided crates which are packed away for good.

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Elite Member

My dogs can stay in a crate without stressing, but we rarely crate them. The only dog I have that was crate trained from a puppy (only at night) was Kaleb. I did not trust him not to destroy the house. When He was around 7 or 8 months he was allowed out of the crate at night. He has not destroyed anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

I crate train for house breaking purposes. My house is fairly dog-proof, though, and I usually start allowing them out of the crates when I'm gone around 7-9 months of age. After that they're rarely crated.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 PM

The breeder had started crate training so when I brought her home, the crate was no big deal. I taught her to go in her crate when I say "night night" and she caught on very quickly. I stopped using the crate when she was about 5 months old as she is fine when alone. She will occasionally go in it on her own to nap and I've crated her when the plumber was doing some work. I'm in the "crates are good" camp.

Mystique: Solid Black, 11/10/2013
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, I crate. Pros: Safe for the dog, safe for my house, useful in teaching a multitude of things (house breaking, impulse control, etc). Makes it loads easier when traveling, vetting, visitors come, etc. Cons: None, that I can think of.

My male has been given freedom of the house since 2 years of age, but we do crate while traveling. My female is 10 months and will probably not be trusted to be loose in the house until at least 2 years old.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 PM

Yes I crate on advise from this forum. Our guy was destroying the house at night or if left at home. When we got it he went in like he had always had one and even now that he stays out he goes in to sleep at night or if he needs a break. It became his home and where he feels comfortable and secure. I honestly don't see anything wrong with them. We hardly ever close the door now but keep it because he loves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page