Flea Meds and environmental Allergies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Flea Meds and environmental Allergies

For the past month or so Tosca has been extremely itchy. I attributed it to the outside weeds but found a flea on her which explains it. She was on TriFexis last year and I really do not want to go back on it because of the horror stories I have heard. Before that I believe she was on Advantage.

My concern is that she does have allergies and wondering if I should use a topical at all. I have an older cat (14 y/o) who will have to be treated as well. I am concerned about using a topical when the dog's skin is broken out and on an older overweight cat.

I was wondering what is new on the market to treat cats and dogs. I just learned there is an Advantage II. Is Revolution for cats still good? I hate fleas!!!!!

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Just spoke to the vet office. They recommend a product called Activile. Anybody familiar with this. They said Advantage is not as effective. Did I say I hate fleas? Lol

J litter
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Knighted Member

I hadn't heard of the Activile so I googled it.

My Pet - What is Activyl

From what I read it seems like a pretty good alternative. Raina is still on Trifexis and has had no bad side effects. I know German Shepherds do have a possibility of having problems on Trifexes but I guess Raina is one of the lucky ones considering she has so many allergies including flea bites or even carpet mite bites. Let us know how it works out.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you for Googling it. I was too close to leaving the house to go to work to do it myself. I was hoping a member had tried it and give an opinion. The vet's office said there was a flea preventative that was the same as TriFexis but without the heart worm stuff. It would have to be given on a full stomach and if she vomited it up at a certain time it would not be affected. Tosca is not a dependable eater so I did not want to go that route. I did not like that with TriFexis either. Getting a refund was a hassle.

J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page