How do you deal with shedding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

How do you deal with shedding?

So I know how GSDs sheds forever. I need advice on how you guys deal with the daily maintenance. Maverick is a white GSD and you know how they shed more than the black and tan GSDs.

Will you tell me about your daily and weekly routine? How often do you brush them? How often do you vacuum inside? Does your GSD let you vacuum them? Do you brush them before they can come back inside? Do you use a lint remover on your work clothes before you leave everyday? How often to you brush and vacuum your couch? (he's not allowed on it but we seem to always find hair on it )

Any advice will help!

Thanks,
jhoanna
(Maverick's mom)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

I don't really deal with shedding. My dog sheds very little.

1) feed raw
2) got a dog blower -- K9 III, and use that daily to get rid of dust, dander and any loose hairs
3) supplement with Feedsentials, coconut oil, borage oil, and evening primrose oil, in rotation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post

1) feed raw
2) got a dog blower -- K9 III, and use that daily to get rid of dust, dander and any loose hairs
3) supplement with Feedsentials, coconut oil, borage oil, and evening primrose oil, in rotation.
How much coconut oil ?

Ace Von Backyard 3/12/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post

1) feed raw

When you say raw, you mean uncooked food? How often do you feed yours raw? I'm worried mine might get sick.

Dog blower sounds great! I just googled it. I have an industrial vacuum that I can reverse and blow air. I can do this daily and then brush him twice a week. Is that doable?

Yes, how much coconut oil? I keep them in my pantry. Is olive oil a good choice too?

Thanks for the ideas! I'm getting excited already!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

I have several dogs, 2 GSD's and 2 goldens mixed in there. They shedded more a couple months ago then now. I vacuum every three days and dust once a week. I have a purifier on my furnace and a couple small freestanding purifers . They get baths once to twice a year, some of them not even that. I also dry them with a high force dryer. They all love water, so after swimming I dry them with the dryer, which I'm sure helps. I brush them all every few months. My GSD's don't shed much, the goldens shed more, but it's still not bad. I feed a higher quality food with no supplements at this time. I think my cats shed more.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 08-10-2014 at 06:03 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I have several dogs, 2 GSD's and 2 goldens mixed in there. They shedded more a couple months ago then now. I vacuum every three days and dust once a week. I have a purifier on my furnace and a couple small freestanding purifers . They get baths once to twice a year, some of them not even that. I also dry them with a high force dryer. They all love water, so after swimming I dry them with the dryer, which I'm sure helps. I brush them all every few months. My GSD's don't shed much, the goldens shed more, but it's still not bad. I feed a higher quality food with no supplements at this time. I think my cats shed more.
Once to twice a year bath, wow! Maverick would be so thrilled, he hates water. We always struggle during bath times. Not fun for both of us.

What do you feed your GSDs? Do you mind telling me the brand? I feed mine The Diamond brand. It's what he liked the most after going through 3 different brands.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick M View Post
Once to twice a year bath, wow! Maverick would be so thrilled, he hates water. We always struggle during bath times. Not fun for both of us.

What do you feed your GSDs? Do you mind telling me the brand? I feed mine The Diamond brand. It's what he liked the most after going through 3 different brands.
I feed Infinia Salmon and Sweet Potatoe and switch with the Bison every now and then. It's only available at feed stores and very few of them.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...inia-dog-food/

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 08-10-2014 at 06:21 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

I have a stand up shower and when it's bath time I call them in one at a time, tell them it's bath time and they walk in and sit down. Downside is that when I'm taking a shower my youngest golden thinks he can join me

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I have a stand up shower and when it's bath time I call them in one at a time, tell them it's bath time and they walk in and sit down. Downside is that when I'm taking a shower my youngest golden thinks he can join me

Hahaha! That just made me laugh!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

any more ideas and suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page