Tick & Flea treatment, which to use? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Tick & Flea treatment, which to use?

It is so dry in Utah, that for the most part people don't need to use a tick or flea treatment here. However since our Ollie has allergies and we spend a fair amount of time hiking and camping, our Vet suggested it might be good to put Ollie on a treatment for the spring/summer/fall so we don't add to his skin issues. We have been using Frontline this summer and haven't had any issue except that Ollie is a total pill when you are trying to hold him still to put it between his shoulder blades on the skin. Last time I think I ended up wearing half the dose as he tried to shake it off.

I saw a commercial for nexgard, which looks like an oral tick and flea treatment. I asked our Vet about it and how it compared to nexgard in terms of easier application. He had seen the commercials too, but again since the tick/flea issue isn't a big deal in Utah, he didn't know any of the specifics or pros/cons compared to Frontline.

Do any of you with more flea/tick expertise have thoughts on nexgard, frontline or other brands?

Jack- GSD/Husky Gotcha 7/24/2005- Rainbow Bridge 4/7/2012
Ollie-GSD DOB 4/15/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Crowned Member

I have had great success with the Scalibor Collar with all of my dogs. No fleas and one tick that I found in the kitchen after it fell off the dog. I do have Nexgard and I did use that on Midnite because they said he is allergic to fleas. I used both for one month. I like the collar because it doesn't allow ticks to attach, where Nexgard and even Frontline do. After a certain time of feeding, the tick dies but it has the opportunity to feed with frontline and nexgard. The collar repels them and continued to work even with baths and lots of swimming. The collar is good for 6 months.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 08-10-2014 at 04:56 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM

I just use a flea comb, regular bathing, say every ten days with organic shampoo and conditioner and I also use a natural flea spray from mercola.com and my dog doesn't have any flea or ticks issue, don't want to use harsh chemicals that flow through their blood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

I like Vectra, when people ask for suggestions at work. We usually recommend Vectra or Advantix.

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 PM

I use Vets best... its an all natural spray, works good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page