To neuter or NOT to neuter!? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

To neuter or NOT to neuter!?

We have made our decision on whether we are going to neuter Bob Barker or not.

BUT I want to hear everyone's reasoning why they think you should.... Or should not neuter.

And we have decided to opt out of the neuter and deal with the headache when the girls come in heat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Candice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Crowned Member

I'm fairly sure this discussion is older than the one about whether the chicken or the egg came first- and there's about 10,000,000 threads about it

It really all comes down to the level of responsibility one is willing to deal with, and it being a personal choice. My next male will be left intact until at least two years because I believe the research shows there are more risks with early neutering, and I am able to properly manage an intact animal. Others might feel that the research shows that there are more health risks to leaving them intact, or not want to deal with the responsibility. It really all boils down to personal beliefs and lifestyle preferences. As long as people do the research to try and make an informed decision, that's all we can really ask for.

Last edited by LoveEcho; 08-05-2014 at 08:48 AM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Crowned Member

Here are my thoughts on neutering.

I think if you are a responsible adult and can keep your male from getting a female pregnant, you should wait until your dog is at least 18 months before neutering. I personally prefer to neuter between 18-24 months.

If you can and want to keep your dog intact forever, that is fine with me. I just choose to neuter because I hate balls, lol, I also never want to make a mistake and end up with a pregnant dog.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I just choose to neuter because I hate balls, lol, I also never want to make a mistake and end up with a pregnant dog.[/FONT]
LOL!!! "I hate balls"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Candice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Elite Member

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...euter-not.html

Here ya go Bob

Ace Von Backyard 3/12/2014
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Crowned Member

I really think it's a personal decision and there are so many factors that are PRO/CON that there's no absolute right answer.

Personally, I don't need or want an intact dog whether it be male or female. I have no intentions of ever breeding and a good sound dog is a good sound dog regardless of whether it is intact or not.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Crowned Member

Since you are asking for reasoning, I think it's natural. Neutering is not natural. For me it is unnecessary surgery that removes glands that produce hormones that balance the dog's systems the way nature intended. The glands are for more than reproduction. They affect growth and other stuff as well. In fact, I am not sure that we really know how much they affect the whole of the dog. So if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 AM

My vet had told me that he would recommend to his clients two different things.

1) Those who he was not positive that they would be responsible -- neuter early

2) Those who he was positive would be responsible -- wait until the male was at least 24 months of age before neutering or not neuter at all.

Out of my last three males 2 were neutered shortly after reaching 24 months of age and the 3rd was still intact at the age of 12 when he passed away.

My next male, who will be used among other things, will also be trained for Assistance Mobility.

If I decide to neuter him, he will be at least 24 months old and x-rays taken to make sure his growth plates are closed.
If I decide on a canine vasectomy, he will be at least 24 months old.
I may just decide to leave him intact without either of the above.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 08-05-2014 at 09:37 AM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:55 PM

I kept my dog intact, there was a report out of the UK showing that neutering or spaying lead to health issues down and the road, I believe thyroid was a very common issue with dogs that were neutered or spayed. My male doesn't try to hump my leg like my last neutered dog would do or show any dog or male on male aggression, a vet tried to get me to neuter him young and told me both of these things will happen if I didnt. Neutering and spaying is big business for vey office, I believe in North America it makes up a huge part of the business, I want to say it was about 60%.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

I think that pet ownership has come a long way. When I was a kid, the dog was pretty much an ornament in the back yard. New puppies were exciting and people would take them to the vet and get them shots. But as that excitement wore off, the next time they saw the vet would be when they were 13 or 14 years old and at death's door. I think at that time, vet schools were pushing vets to get the speuter in before the honeymoon period was over, and thus maximize their profits while preventing each of those dogs from reproducing themselves many times over.

Nowadays, though, it seems that even average pet owners are hanging out at vet clinics a lot moreso than in the old days. I really don't think that there is the concern that people will never neuter or spay if they wait. It is true that dogs can reproduce before they are fully mature, mentally or physically, so there is that. But I don't think vet clinics stand to lose that much by encouraging customers to wait until a critter is 12 months, 18 months, or even 2 years old.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page