I had a horrible flea infestation that lasted 2 months when we first moved into a new rental home. Before moving, our german shepherd was flea free, so I was just buying single doses online each month, Advantix worked but he was due at the time of moving, so I can't say on its effectiveness.
What I learned from it:
Before me and my dog moved in, my husband spent 2 and half weeks in the new home, this is what he tried:
1. Flea bombs don't work. At all.
2. Shampooing the carpet helped slightly, but not much.
3. Those Adam's/zodiac/etc house flea sprays from walmart didn't work.
After my dog and I moved in:
4. Frontline Plus, bought from walmart, didn't work. I tried it twice on my poor dog, and it didn't make a dent in the amount of fleas in the home or on him.
5. Tried Bio-Spot Carpet Powder with Linalool & Nylar. Actually seemed to help, but maybe me vacuuming 2-3x a day was what actually helped? All I know is that fleas were less, but still all over my dog.
6. After 6 weeks of struggling and putting my dog outside during the day since the Frontline didn't work, I broke down and went to a vet and got a single dose of Trifexis. It was $20 for the pill, but within the hour I stopped seeing fleas on my dog, and within that week we had no more flea bites on us. My dog had itchy skin for awhile since he was covered in bites, but I checked him all the time to make sure the fleas weren't coming back.
So, seriously, flea sprays and cans are a waste of money, we spent hundreds before trying the trifexis stuff.
I have a theory that maybe the Frontline Plus didn't work since we did the flea bombs, which might've made the fleas more resilient..but maybe the product just doesn't work in some areas, when I talked to actual vets they told me they are carrying Frontline Tritak instead now.
Anyway, my point is the only thing that worked for us is a good vet-only prevention.
I'll only be using the Comfortis/Trifexis stuff from now on, but I can say my experience with Advantage(used on foster kitties, would work at first but then stop?) and Frontine Plus has been less than stellar.
Last edited by gsdPerseus; 02-10-2014 at 01:51 PM.