spraying for fleas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

spraying for fleas

We are struggling with a flea infestation. What I believe we need to do is bomb the house, but since it is winter, it isn't feasible to air it out afterwards for several hours. If I bought several cans of flea spray and used it on EVERYTHING, does anyone know if the animals would need to be removed from the house? Also, how long would the windows need to be open to air it out? An hour would probably be ok, but that would be about the limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:47 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You don't need to air out the house after a flea bomb. You just need to bomb the house while everyone is out (pets too) and then come back hours later.

Make sure you wash all the dog stuff and vacuum the heck out of the house too. I usually flea bath the dog and use the topical flea stuff too. So it's a busy day with pets/laundry and bombs but if you don't get everything the eggs you missed will hatch and you'll be right back where you started.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah you're probably going to need to bomb. All that stuff settles it doesn't just hang in the air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Banned

you can bomb in the winter. bomb the house. use a spray to do the
edges of the rooms and the floors. duct tape around the kitchen cabinets,
refrigerator and wherever else is needed. remove all animals from the house.
place the plants in the bathroom. wedge a towel under the bathroom door and
duct tape around the door. give all the animals a flea bath. set bombs off.
start up stairs and work your way to the door. leave the house for 3 hours
or as directed. when you return home open the windows if needed. i think
you have to do the whole procedure over in a week or 2 because bombing
doesn't kill the eggs. i don't know if you have to dip the animals again within
that time.

Last edited by doggiedad; 12-01-2013 at 10:56 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Crowned Member

If you have fish tanks turn the filters off and cover it with a blanket too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you thank you! My next question was going to be about the fish tank, so thanks for that too! I think all my questions have been answered. Good God!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Banned

i use to cover my fish tank with plastic wrap and tape
the seams and edges or use a piece of plastic drop cloth
and take the tape the edges.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 PM

I had a horrible flea infestation that lasted 2 months when we first moved into a new rental home. Before moving, our german shepherd was flea free, so I was just buying single doses online each month, Advantix worked but he was due at the time of moving, so I can't say on its effectiveness.

What I learned from it:
Before me and my dog moved in, my husband spent 2 and half weeks in the new home, this is what he tried:
1. Flea bombs don't work. At all.
2. Shampooing the carpet helped slightly, but not much.
3. Those Adam's/zodiac/etc house flea sprays from walmart didn't work.

After my dog and I moved in:
4. Frontline Plus, bought from walmart, didn't work. I tried it twice on my poor dog, and it didn't make a dent in the amount of fleas in the home or on him.
5. Tried Bio-Spot Carpet Powder with Linalool & Nylar. Actually seemed to help, but maybe me vacuuming 2-3x a day was what actually helped? All I know is that fleas were less, but still all over my dog.
6. After 6 weeks of struggling and putting my dog outside during the day since the Frontline didn't work, I broke down and went to a vet and got a single dose of Trifexis. It was $20 for the pill, but within the hour I stopped seeing fleas on my dog, and within that week we had no more flea bites on us. My dog had itchy skin for awhile since he was covered in bites, but I checked him all the time to make sure the fleas weren't coming back.

So, seriously, flea sprays and cans are a waste of money, we spent hundreds before trying the trifexis stuff.
I have a theory that maybe the Frontline Plus didn't work since we did the flea bombs, which might've made the fleas more resilient..but maybe the product just doesn't work in some areas, when I talked to actual vets they told me they are carrying Frontline Tritak instead now.
Anyway, my point is the only thing that worked for us is a good vet-only prevention.
I'll only be using the Comfortis/Trifexis stuff from now on, but I can say my experience with Advantage(used on foster kitties, would work at first but then stop?) and Frontine Plus has been less than stellar.

Good luck!

Last edited by gsdPerseus; 02-10-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page