DIY Blower/Dryer - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

DIY Blower/Dryer

The good blowers/dryers are very expensive. Is there anything available that will work either off a shop compressor or even off a scuba tank or a smaller HPA Tank like used in paintball. Something off a scuba or paintball tank would be great. I have all 3 of these other options and I'd imagine it would/should be much cheaper than paying for an entire blower/dryer.

I'm not sure the amount of air pressure these typically put out, all I would need is something to regulate to the correct air pressure and the correct nozzle I would think.

I thinking for getting the loose hair out, not drying. The problem I might run into is the air getting too cold.

Last edited by jjk454ss; 11-11-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

I agree, for me the blowing is to get the hair out, not to dry. It is more effective than brushing and you don't "brush burn" the dog. When I use a high velocity dryer it feels a bit cold at first but the friction from the air in the tube heats it up so it is soon comfortable (not hot like a human hair dryer).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I agree, for me the blowing is to get the hair out, not to dry. It is more effective than brushing and you don't "brush burn" the dog. When I use a high velocity dryer it feels a bit cold at first but the friction from the air in the tube heats it up so it is soon comfortable (not hot like a human hair dryer).
Thanks for the reply, esp from a fellow West Michigander. Any idea if they make something like this? The good blowers are so expensive when I've got the compressor and air tanks already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

Not sure, sorry! The dryer I have at home I won in a raffle. It's a Metro brand, I think it was under $100 on the pricetag. It is "OK", since it was free. However when I have a big job, like a dog really blowing coat or when I'm grooming my insane-coated mutt, I go to Chow Hound and use their grooming station. Their dryer feels about 3x more powerful than mine, does a better job and faster.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Master Member

A shop vac (cleaned) with the hose attached to the outward blowing part - as opposed to the suction part. Not nearly as powerful as my k9II dryer but effective enough to get the job done. You will need to find an attachment piece that will concentrate the air coming out - shop vacs make all kinds of attachments though and you should be able to find one that makes the air force stronger.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelia View Post
A shop vac (cleaned) with the hose attached to the outward blowing part - as opposed to the suction part. Not nearly as powerful as my k9II dryer but effective enough to get the job done. You will need to find an attachment piece that will concentrate the air coming out - shop vacs make all kinds of attachments though and you should be able to find one that makes the air force stronger.
That was my original thought, but I could get much more pressure using a compressor or HPA tank. I have an attachment that lets me use the HPA tank for air tools, this would be perfect for this as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page