When your girl is in heat, have you actually had males hop the fence? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

When your girl is in heat, have you actually had males hop the fence?

Just curious. Everybody talks about what "could" happen, and it makes total sense. Now, I am curious as to what people have actually experienced or heard about, first hand.

My girl is in heat (she's 9 months). It's the first time for me.

We live in a suburban area and there is a hill behind our house. I have heard coyotes at night. We also have several neighbor dogs, and being new to the neighborhood, I do not know if they are altered. Most seem to be shepherds, pits and labs.

Our yard is pretty big (for city living), about 12,000 sf. Part of the yard is low and next to the house (grass, patio area), but behind the pool is a landscaped hill that leads to our 4.5' fence (ugh, yes, I know it's too short! Just bought the house).

So, during the day I have Myah out with me, supervised. Then I bring her in. She spends most of her time inside, now. At night, I take her out on a leash (and she IS wondering what that is all about, lol). I don't plan on walking her outside her yard, etc. I know all the precautions.

But last night, I felt kind of paranoid. Again, this is my first time dealing with a girl in heat. I was peering all around the yard and every little noise in the bushes (it was breezy), caught my attention. Then Myah, sensing my tension, decided to bark into the night, as if something was there. I don't want to freak her out too!

Good grief! This morning, I look at my yard and think - really? Do I have 4 weeks of paranoia to look forward to?

So, rather than ask what "could" happen (I've read all those posts), I'd like to ask, what HAS happened, that you know of?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

I have had males tear through chain link to get to a female. And I'm talking about the ol' time thick chain link. Not the thin stuff you buy now. I had a male who would rather get zapped by our electric fence then to miss a sassy female prancing around through our pasture.

Even if you think it could never happen...it will.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Elite Member

I don't leave my kids in the yard, but they of course go out there to potty. My neighborhood is full of pits roaming around. I came home one afternoon while one of my girls was in heat to a big ol' intact male pit in my back yard sniffing around. I have 6 foot wood privacy fence. I still have NO idea how he got in, although the horizontal beams are on the outside so it is conceivable he climbed his way in and couldn't figure out how to get back out. As soon as I opened the gate he happily trotted away.

Had I left my girl in the back yard...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post
I don't leave my kids in the yard, but they of course go out there to potty. My neighborhood is full of pits roaming around. I came home one afternoon while one of my girls was in heat to a big ol' intact male pit in my back yard sniffing around. I have 6 foot wood privacy fence. I still have NO idea how he got in, although the horizontal beams are on the outside so it is conceivable he climbed his way in and couldn't figure out how to get back out. As soon as I opened the gate he happily trotted away.

Had I left my girl in the back yard...
Oh my! So, now I have a question: if the girl's smells are in the grass while she's in heat - and you had a "guest" sniffer in your yard - how long after the heat is over will the smells go away?

Should I expect sniffers long after her heat is gone, just because she left all kinds of nifty smells in the yard?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myah's Mom View Post
Oh my! So, now I have a question: if the girl's smells are in the grass while she's in heat - and you had a "guest" sniffer in your yard - how long after the heat is over will the smells go away?

Should I expect sniffers long after her heat is gone, just because she left all kinds of nifty smells in the yard?
I have no clue on that one. Of all the years and multiple bitches in heat, that's the one 'incident' we've ever had. And if that male REALLY wanted to get the girl he probably would have been back more often. We didn't see him any more often than usual after that (he wanders by every few weeks). My males are only interested in lady-marked spots for about a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know if this helps, but when I've had females over for breeding, Nikon is usually interested in wherever they urinated for about 2 days.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Knighted Member

never seen another dog around the fence and i was out in the country

I was more scared coyotes would show interest but even they never came close

there is only a certain stage where a female will allow a male to mount her but this mature female i dont know about a 9 month old

Last edited by pets4life; 11-07-2013 at 12:42 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 PM

I was at my aunt's house when her dog was in heat. I remember washing my plate and through the kitchen window I saw a black dog jump over her gate and run to the back yard where her female dog was. I heard stories of male dogs going the extra mile, but never in my life had I witness it till that day. lol

Mark
Schatzi - German Shepherd 3/5/12
Cudi - Alaskan Malamute 8/17/12
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Knighted Member

I had a bitch for 4 years till i spayed her and never saw anything crazy but like the other poster I hear things. Maybe males did not think mine was pretty or something. Which is good.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Banned

This period you should care of her hygiene, blood is a food for many bacteria, here are good tips about grooming dog on heat:
How to Groom a Female Dog in Heat | eHow
The males very rarely fly over fences, they mainly dig. The best thing would be to build an enclosure with a wooden floor and a kennel 1ft above the ground if you keep her outside. But, I wouldn't reciommend it, it could be safer to keep her inside these 22 days. Find some trunks, make a hole for her tail closer to their belt, and change white hygienic pads every hour. Urban dogs do not have terribly acute sense of smell because of car gases, police sniffer dogs live in non-industrial regions for that reason. But, a dog who lives in a comparatively clean area can detect a bitch on heat from 2 miles away easily. So, if you keep your girl outdoor - many of them would escape from your neighbourhood and start gethering like butterflies with the light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page