Burr removal - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Burr removal

So I have 2 long coat GSD and these burrs are just brutal. I have been trying to get rid of the plant, but they seem to just randomly appear! We have a 6' privacy fence so I know they are getting them from our yard. We have tried weed killer, yanking the plants up (the are the kind of burrs that are low to the ground, not the tall sprouted ones) and vinegar (was told to try this by a friend). Just need a way to rid of them because picking burrs off of the private parts of my male dogs is not pleasant for either of us! They also always get them in their ears, in between their toes and in their armpits
Also any tips on getting them out of the fur would be greatly appreciated! Burr removal-imageuploadedbypg-free1383830126.516224.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Master Member

I feel your pain but cannot help you. Piper is always getting burrs in her. I cant stand it lol. Her tail is all ratty looking because she will get the big burrs in her and try and rip them out herself. Right now she is small ones in her...ive picked out a few of course but theyre not too many so im not in a rush...Iève learned you just have to live with the burrs. Even burning them wont work...but if anyone else knows of anything to get rid of them im all ears as well.

Piper ~01/16/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zeus ~ 10/18/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

See I get check them (well mainly Nikko since the little one isn't outside on his own yet) as soon as they walk in the door. I pick them out right then, if not I tend to get them in my carpet and those things are not pleasant to step on! Also have found them in my clothes when they come out of the dryer I swear Nikko knows where they are and purposely lays on them!!! Well hopefully winter will kill some of them, and come spring I'll have a landscaper come in (I want to some trees anyways).
I find brushing them with a nice bristle brush works for the most part

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Knighted Member

Jazz ran right into a burr bush a few weeks back and he looked like something out of a horror movie. I ended up cutting them out because they were that bad. He has a longer coat so it was just awful.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 PM

I want to say that baby oil helped get the burrs out of my horses' manes and tails years ago - maybe give that a try?

~ Jesi
Gunner - GSD (Adopted 6/29/12) - Registered Therapy Dog Inc.

Hero - GSD ( Awaiting at the bridge for me )
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

If it's like the burrs that we have, normal weed killer will kill it. But it doesn't kill the seeds, so you have to keep up the battle (yearly) until you are able to eradicate them before they go to seed.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
If it's like the burrs that we have, normal weed killer will kill it. But it doesn't kill the seeds, so you have to keep up the battle (yearly) until you are able to eradicate them before they go to seed.
Thank you Lillie. We just moved into this house in August so I must have missed being able to kill the seeds. Hopefully this spring I will be able to get them!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Crowned Member

Can't help with getting rid of the plants, if Round-up doesn't work.

To remove them from your dog's coat, get a silicone-based detangling spray like Cowboy Magic or Show Sheen. These should be available at your feed/pet supply store, along with many other types of detangling sprays for dogs. Spray the burr-ridden areas, then brush with a soft slicker. They should come right out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:44 PM

I feel your pain. Ozzy doesn't have a long coat but Harry is a Bearded collie! Ugh!!
I agree with the detangler and a slicker brush, thankfully he is patient enough to sit down and let me handle it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 AM

Good thread, I had to get a sticker burr from out of between Hunter's toes on his back foot after his trip to the river the other day. He was patient but was just kinda lookin at me as to say,, "Hey can ya speed it up there buddy? That kinda hurts" Dont have the burrs in the yard at home but the river is going to be a very frequent trip for him. He will get used to it. No way to avoid it out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page