Will my runt catch up? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Will my runt catch up?

We just bought a solid black german Shepard from a lady and she said she was vet checked had been wormed and had her first set of shots. I look at pictures of other 9 week old german Shepard pups and she's tiny compared to them. Will she always be small or will she catch up?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

First, it's shepHERD - GSDs are a herding breed. Puppies grow at different rates, so it's difficult to predict how big she'll ultimately get. For example, my boy Keefer was 7 pounds less at 6 months old than his half sister Dena was at the same age, but as adults he ended up outweighing her by nearly 10 pounds, so that difference was made up and more as he matured.

The best way to guess her adult size is to look at the parents. There is a 22 pound range from the high and low end of the breed standard for an adult female, so I wouldn't be worried if she's not as big as some of the other puppies you've seen. Do you know how she compared to her littermates?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Crowned Member

A friend of mine got a black GSD a few months ago and his pup looked to be smaller than his litter mates by quite a bit. When I saw him yesterday,( it had been a few weeks) he looks like he has caught up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
First, it's shepHERD - GSDs are a herding breed. Puppies grow at different rates, so it's difficult to predict how big she'll ultimately get. For example, my boy Keefer was 7 pounds less at 6 months old than his half sister Dena was at the same age, but as adults he ended up outweighing her by nearly 10 pounds, so that difference was made up and more as he matured.

The best way to guess her adult size is to look at the parents. There is a 22 pound range from the high and low end of the breed standard for an adult female, so I wouldn't be worried if she's not as big as some of the other puppies you've seen. Do you know how she compared to her littermates?
^ This.

My pup was actually one of the bigger pups in her litter and yet she is I believe the smallest at 2.5 years. She is only 62lbs and 23'. All pups grow at different rates.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

Ziva: 7 wks. 4.8 lbs. Round worms, giardia, puppy pyoderma...

Ziva at 7 mo. 56 lbs...

Try to relax...I'm guessing your pup will catch up. They are all different, just like human babies. It's genetics mostly. Love her and she will grow

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page