Dr. Becker: The Truth About Spaying and Neutering - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Dr. Becker: The Truth About Spaying and Neutering

It's interesting how all the IRRESPONSIBLE dog owners in the USA have led to the medical issues in our dogs from doing the 'normal' spay/neuters we've been told about for years. Be nice if vet schools would change their de-sexing procedures/instruction but that will only come from us (I guess?).

Published on Sep 29, 2013
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/... Dr. Karen Becker, a proactive and integrative wellness veterinarian, discusses all about neutering or spaying in pets.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM

I was fortunate that my dog trainer keeps up to date on the latest information/studies and educated me on the pluses of keeping a dog intact. My vet however was not as open minded and that seems to be the repeated complaint I hear from people who actually choose not to desex their dogs. When I approached the subject of sterilization I thought they would evict me from their office...crazy. In the end I wont sterilize due to cost and the difficulty in finding a vet to perform the procedure and my guy will be neutered... but not until after his second birthday and maybe even longer than that.
I agree that its up to the public to encourage practicing vets and veterinary schools to explore these alternatives.

On the other hand, if an owner feels they cant keep their dog from reproducing then by all means.. spay/neuter or sterilize because the world certainly does not need more unplanned litters.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks for posting this!
Dr. B is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

Ted Kerasote has been making the rounds, sharing this opinion too. His book Pukka's Promise contains information on the desexing option. I hope the trend changes with the vet schools.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM

Thanks for this post. I've been struggling with whether to get Franklin fixed. We are due for a vet visit and I'm sure this subject will come up soon.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

People should show this to their vets.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

Hopefully as more young vets become more knowledgable of information like this, spaying and neutering won't be pushed so much. I know that when I finally graduate and become a vet I am not gonna be one to push it, and am actually gonna try to inform my patients of the pros and cons..

On a different note, I am very glad my vet has not said a single word about Berlin being intact and my choice to not neuter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

The vet schools are not teaching the de-sexing procedures so very few vets even consider the option. Until the schools are on board and teaching the vas/tubal ligations, there will just be spay/neuters available.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
People should show this to their vets.
My vet has a fb page, I shared it there.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

Mr. D: here are 2 articles on early spay/neuter that might help give you some ammunition for the vet visit!

Early Spay-Neuter Considerations For The Canine Athlete One Veterinarian's Opinion By Chris Zink DVM,PhD, DACVP: http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/...tions_2013.pdf

Neuter Medical Facts by Barbara Andrews: SPAY & NEUTER MEDICAL FACTS, HEALTH RISKS

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page