Enjoying pup..enjoying forum but get scared.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Enjoying pup..enjoying forum but get scared....

Sometimes it's really hard not to go on the difficult topics...you know the "scary" ones. How do you not sit around and just worry yourself sick with the "what ifs"....what if my GSD is the one who gets that horrible cancer, what if my GSD is the one who gets bad hips...what if my GSD gets bloat...

how do you manage to sit around and enjoy your dog without fussing and fretting over EVERYTHING?

Elevated bowl or not, run or not, too much / too little exercise, what causes cancer, are her hips right?, is her stomach making the right noises?

I have had cats all my life and have never spent the majority of my time..checking consistency of poops...watching hips..watching stomach size...researching for hours the benefits of foods/ bowls/...etc and so on.

HELP! I'm beginning to be a nervous wreck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 AM

No elevated bowls unless its medically necessary... I suggest a brake-fast.net medium or large sized bowl and an hour rest before and after eating!

run on grass (limit the amount of time depending on age), if you're on pavement/concrete only walk and not for too long (10-45 minutes depending on age), hiking is good too but again keep the dogs age in mind, swimming is probably the best thing for them and can help build muscle in the hips, limit jumping

You will know if your pup is getting too little exercise, try nose games like tossing a treat and having her "find it", training outside, or anything that makes them think can help wear them out without putting too much stress on the joints.

feed good quality grain free food, raw, or make your own if you know what you are doing.. check sites like chewy.com for prices they are sometimes lower than in store.

add in supplements (do your research), coconut oil, green tripe (raw is best but tripett brand is good alternative)

add pumpkin (lots of Vitamin A so watch amount given), yogurt, or some other probiotic (have used FortiFlora [http://www.amazon.com/Purina-Veterinary-Diets-Fortiflora-Sachets/dp/B001650NNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383057150] with good results) for poops

stay away from rawhide's, try split large elk antlers, bully sticks, and trachea's as an alternative (bestbullysticks.com)

never feed anything from china, for treats its best to make your own (Category: Homemade Treats - K9 Instinct - Dog Nutritionist in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. K9 Instinct Blog! Dog Nutrition consultations online!)

for allergies try raw (unheated) local honey (watch amount given and if the pup is young), and/or Quercetin (vitacost)

most importantly IMO would be to research more about the vaccine's the vets push on you and determine if you really need it, and unfortunately you are probably required by law to get rabies vaccination but here is some good info

Note: I am no expert and these are just my opinions and thoughts, enjoy your pup and dont worry too much!

Adam & Natalie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ripley - 6/11/13

Last edited by Haastility; 10-29-2013 at 11:07 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

"add pumpkin (lots of Vitamin A so watch amount given"
but this is not Vitamin A it is PRO vitamin A which is water soluble and gets converted , needed amount used the rest eliminated.

oil (cod liver oil) fat soluble Vitamin A is stored in fat and liver and can be toxic.

pumpkin nothing to worry about

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I have to say, I think it's like having kids, we freak out about every little thing with the first pup, then the next we are calmer, and by the 3rd we don't even remember to take pictures and fill out their 'baby book'

I know I do worry more when I get a new puppy to figure out the 'normal' with THIS puppy.

Just by going thru it, we get calmer and better at enjoying all the good times!

PLUS, reading thru all ---> Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums is great prep

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM

I cant edit my post anymore.. I forgot to mention that some people have seen enamel wear and broken teeth from elk antlers so do over do it on those but every now and then is OK I think (tennis balls can also round teeth so don't let them chew on them), RAW bones (good for dental hygiene) are also a good alternative to rawhide's

you can also use coconut oil as a toothpaste

Adam & Natalie

Ripley - 6/11/13
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
"add pumpkin (lots of Vitamin A so watch amount given"
but this is not Vitamin A it is PRO vitamin A which is water soluble and gets converted , needed amount used the rest eliminated.

oil (cod liver oil) fat soluble Vitamin A is stored in fat and liver and can be toxic.

pumpkin nothing to worry about
interesting, thanks for the feedback!

I was actually on your website yesterday looking at Feed-Sentials, do you sell it?

Adam & Natalie

Ripley - 6/11/13
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 AM

lyssa62, Try not to worry. Dogs are very adaptable creatures, and they have a way of telling you when things are not right. I'm sure Roxy's main concern at the moment is you and your nerves. You don't need to be a vet or a naturapath to have a healthy happy dog. Have faith that you will know how to respond if the time ever comes. Even the most loved and cared-for dogs have succumbed to the fickle finger of fate. The life-span of a dog is far too short and we will all need to endure the heartbreak at some point in time, so make the most of it while you can ... and STOP WORRYING.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Knighted Member

Yes, try and relax. The dog knows something is amiss even if he doesn't know what.

Don't worry about what you cannot control, and manage those you can without becoming a worry-wart.

It's no fun for the dog living with a nervous nelly.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:56 AM
dOg
Elite Member

play more, worry less.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM
SDG

Try not to stress about all of the details that you cannot control, it will lessen your enjoyment of your pup. We lost 2 GSD's to cancer at the age of 7 and 8...it was awful, but I would not trade our time with them for anything. We then got a Kuvasz because I wanted to see if another less popular breed might have more robust health. She lived for 13 years, stubborn as a mule, but adored by my husband who is still in mourning for her more than a year after her passing.I guess he likes strong willed females!!

We now have a wonderful 5 month old GSD pup, who is probably the best dog we've ever had in more than 35 years of dog companionship. (Thanks Marsha and Lee!). I look at her and all the things that you mentioned go through my mind, and I want to do everything that I can to protect her, but I know that beyond the basics that people here have wisely outlined, there are some things that are just out of my hands. So, I'm endeavoring to love her and appreciate my time with her, day by day. Take a deep breath and enjoy your baby.

Soli Deo Gloria.-used by
Bach and Handel to sign their work-

Because when I see a Horse cantering
for the pure joy of it, or a Dog working
with their beloved person, I think to myself,
"Look what God did".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page