Itchy when using Frontline - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Itchy when using Frontline

Hey everyone, so I've been using frontline for abt 2 months already and I've notice that my GSD has been really itchy when using frontline. Just wanted to know if anyone had this problem and any suggestions on any other flea and tic meds.

Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Crowned Member

That's too bad. I haven't noticed any problem with frontline. Ii wonder though if it could be a seasonal allergy and not related to the frontline. I guess the way to find out it to stop the frontline and see if the itching improves. There are some natural flea and tick meds - OnlyNaturalPet is one source for products and I know there were threads on natural remedies. Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Crowned Member

If this IS a reaction to the toxins, I'd be skeptical of using any type of topical again. My friend almost lost her standard Poodle from this stuff! Read an article about it on page 24 here: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/2012/May2012.pdf
Toxins are stored in the liver. If you are interested in detoxing him, feel free to pm me and I'll give you the information and products to use.

I use 2 different No-Chemical tags on my dogs plus Essential Oils and Fresh Garlic. The tags will not work if dog already HAS fleas.
The following is the information:

Tag #1: Only Natural Pet EasyDefense Flea & Tick Tag for Dogs & Cats These last 2 years.
Tag #2: TickLess Pet Ultrasonic Tick & Flea Repellent Device Pendant for Dogs & Cats This should not be in water.

Essential Oils
: There are different grades of Essential Oils. “Genuine & Authentic or Grade A” is when specific care is taken from growing to processing. Others can be processed with chemicals or may even be synthetic and won't do the job!
TO MAKE SPRITZ:
Mix 20 drops or more of your choice of Essential Oils with 2 cups of spring or distilled water in a spray bottle, shaking before each use. Keep out of sun and away from heat. You can choose one or more essential oils to make up your own individualized potion! It is even a great idea to make up two spray bottles with different Essential Oils in each one and use alternately to keep the bugs away! Spritz on daily. Don’t forget that you can use these on yourself too instead of the “deet”!
You can purchase a good grade of EO's here: Essential Oils, Pure Therapeutic Grade - Our Complete List
There are many more EO's for insect repellent, but these are my favorites and do a great job.
Geranium Rose: Essential Oils Fennel to Juniper Pure Therapeutic Grade
CatNip (not catMint): Catnip Essential Oil, The Most Effective Natural Mosquito Repellent
Citronella: Citronella Oil, Pure Organic Essential Oil
Lemon Grass: Organic Lemongrass Essential Oil, with Antibacterial & Researched Anti-cancer Effects

Garlic: If you just don’t have the patience to do the fresh garlic, the next best idea is to get “Chopped or Minced Garlic” in a small jar in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. A half teaspoon = 1 clove of garlic!
Garlic dose per Dr. Karen Becker:
*Small dogs ¼ to ½ clove/day
*Medium dogs a ½ to 1 clove daily
*45-70# = 1 clove or ½ clove 2 x daily
*75-90# = 1 clove 2 x daily
*over 100# = 1 ½ cloves 2 x daily

Hope your Fur Baby is ok.
Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 10-28-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 AM

I'll look into the above links but just asking more info with flea & tick prevention. In the past we have used mostly Frontline during the warmer months only with our Lab. This was supplemented with flea & tick shampoo after 'high likelihood' excursions.

I know in Spring tick numbers can be rather high in brushy cover. Picking off ticks, as suggested by some, is often not nearly good enough. It's very easy to miss a few. I know ticks can be out any time it's over 40 degrees or so. Besides the bite they can transmit Lyme & other ailments.

Some don't seem to like Frontline, that's fine. I only used it when I felt it was needed. I do like to walk our dogs off the leash in woods & fields, just looking for effective ideas. I suppose the other 'Advantix' has some issues too?

The other question is the dog Lymes vaccination? What's the thought on that?

I ask because we have had a dog get Lymes and another disease from ticks over the years. We want to provide protection with our new puppy on the way. I consider our exposure potential to be on the high side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page