These German Shedders... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

These German Shedders...

Well, I've had only one dog in my life and she loves me so much that provides me with so much furr! It's everywhere!!! I comb her about 3 to 4 times a week and it's still coming! I have a rake and a comb... I'm thinking about buying one of those expensive furminators. How do you deal with it?

I just want to not vacuum the house as an experiment and see how high it'll pile up in a months time. Maybe it'll be up to my ankles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Crowned Member

How do I deal with it? Brush, vacuum, vacuum, brush, sweep, brush, vacuum. . . . and don't invite people over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Master Member

I vacuum once a week, sometimes twice a week.

It's a chore, but one I do happily, because it's my honey bunny Joey doing the shedding.

Never thought we'd fall head over heels in love with a dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Elite Member

Yes, they do shed which catches the general public off guard when you tell them that. We vac. several times a week and don't let Deuce on the bed anymore.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

So... I'm assuming there's no better way around this. Just acceptance? I've read up on how much GSD's shed but to actually experience it is definitely on a whole different level.

It just seems like, once I'm done with the combing session, I can still see more coming. It's just a never ending cycle. Unless, I'm doing it wrong? I use the rake first, then the comb to finish. I brush her afterwards and seems like there are still more. These sessions take up to 30 to an hour, depending on how much she's shedding.

Also, sometimes, I'll see lighter patches by her hips. I pull it and it's like a chunk of cotton. Is that what they refer to "Blowing the coat"?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDkid View Post
So... I'm assuming there's no better way around this. Just acceptance? I've read up on how much GSD's shed but to actually experience it is definitely on a whole different level.

It just seems like, once I'm done with the combing session, I can still see more coming. It's just a never ending cycle. Unless, I'm doing it wrong? I use the rake first, then the comb to finish. I brush her afterwards and seems like there are still more. These sessions take up to 30 to an hour, depending on how much she's shedding.

Also, sometimes, I'll see lighter patches by her hips. I pull it and it's like a chunk of cotton. Is that what they refer to "Blowing the coat"?
Yup, this is all normal. Try having two!

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Knighted Member

What do you feed your dog? Sometimes diet has a lot to do with shedding, what supplements do you give her?

You can get the furminator from Ebay way cheaper than Petco. I got mine for less than 15 bucks I think.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM

We just bought the furminator about a week ago. You would not believe the amount of hair that comes off Grizz with every stroke! So far I've noticed less hair on our floors, so I'm hoping that it's doing what it's advertised. It was expensive but I'll deal with it as long as it keeps working.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Knighted Member

I have two dogs. I deal with the shedding by 1) Giving them Omega 3 (has helped to reduce the shedding a bit) 2) Using the Furminator. 3) Vacuuming every day 4) Covering the couch in the spot my GSD sits on.

*US Army Mom*

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Yup, this is all normal. Try having two!
lol. I WAS thinking about it... I guess there's just no way around it.

@Josie/Zues: No supplements atm. Just Nutro LB kibbles and Cans. She has a weak stomach so Nutro worked best for her after switching from 3 different brands. So... Does the furminator actually make a difference from your average rakes and combs?

@GSLova: I'll definitely have to stop by the store to get some Omega 3. Just googled the pro's and cons of it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page