These German Shedders... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Shasta barely sheds at all except when she's blowing her coat, then it's six weeks of [a really bad, hot place]. She sheds everything, under coat and outer coat and she has a long thick coat. It's so bad that my husband asks at least "do you think this is normal" at least five times a day! When she's at the height of the hair loss, I'm vacuuming three or more times a day in the areas she likes to hang out.. She looks kind of naked to us right now, but before June it will all have all grown back so we can go through it again.

FYI, I prefer the undercoat rake to the Furminator and my husband prefers the rubber Kong brush-thingy.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
I use the furminator and vacuum every day. Google furminator and you will get all sorts of prices. I paid $28 for mine.
Does the furminator make a lot of noise--Sib is afraid of noise and doesn't much like being brushed..Would you recommend under these circumstances?jan

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jang View Post
Does the furminator make a lot of noise--Sib is afraid of noise and doesn't much like being brushed..Would you recommend under these circumstances?jan
The Furminator is a type of brush. No noise

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Knighted Member

I see someone mentioned the Dyson-I totally agree. I used to own an Oreck but switched to Dyson because of my dogs shedding. It was a wonderful choice-works great and I don't have to buy bags constantly.

*US Army Mom*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 PM

@Germanshephardlova---It was Me Nina that mentioned the DYSON Oh **** yeah it rocks! Today since we are painting the inside of the house I had the shop vac out to clean up the sanding dust and while I was at that I chased the 'Puppies" (dog hair) down the hall with the SV lol it was great!

Nina
"Spinner"(F)GSDmix 12 yrs old.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Chewy"(M) WGSD 2 yrs old
"Pearl" (F) Kitty cat 4yrs old.

"Your My good Boy"~ Bolt
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 PM

sorry for the swear word..but actually it's a place and not really a cuss...lol

Nina
"Spinner"(F)GSDmix 12 yrs old.

"Chewy"(M) WGSD 2 yrs old
"Pearl" (F) Kitty cat 4yrs old.

"Your My good Boy"~ Bolt
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninamarie View Post
Omg look what petc has>>>>

Genius!
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 AM

I've had 2 god's and never realized it until we got hard wood floors and you can actually see all of it its scary lol
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Elite Member

As far as the furminator goes it depends on the coat if your pup has a closer denser coat then yeah the furminator works great. My girl is a longer coat and I LOATHE the furminator it makes her coat look horrible. I have had a lab and a GSD in the past that the furminator was horrible on as well the GSD wasn't real tight but had hair aobut an inch or so long like the lab. I'm not a fan of the furminator it does work and gets a ton of hair out but hate how it makes their coat look it cuts the hair etc.. just not a fan of it but it works for others. I have 3 very basic grooming tools in my arsenal and I wouldn't have it any other way. One is a basic slicker brush (great for just a quick brush session and helps loosen up some of the areas that have a few tangles.) The second is the zoom groom by kong for the shorter coats it works amazing even on the long coat it works rather well at the undercoat as well as the guard hairs is only like $8. It also works well in the shower to get a good lather and to top it all off if you use the back of it it's amazing on the furniture and clothes to help get the fur off of it like a lint roller almost just no paper haha. My third and by far favorite tool is my metal grooming comb. Its just a regular comb and all metal. I never groom her dry so I make up a spray bottle with water and a few squirts of pantene conditioner for fine hair spray her all over and then use the metal comb. Gets a ton of hair out plus it all collects in the comb so you don't have hair going everywhere. Plus, after her coat is super shiny and soft and always smells like she's freshly groomed. Also, I feed raw and give supplements which really does make a difference. I had someone bring their dog over and couldn't believe how much more it shed then Jinx then she switched her guys to raw and noticed a huge reduction in shedding just my switching. She doesn't shed much all year except for when she actually blows her coat then it's bad but vacuuming and the comb/squirt bottle and we are ready for war lol

Jinx vom Wildhaus
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Master Member

i use the furminator, but i bought it from eBay MUCH cheaper then in the stores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page