German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Health insurance opinions (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/159747-health-insurance-opinions.html)

slefferd 05-29-2011 10:03 AM

Health insurance opinions

My GSD is about 8 months old. I just bought the AKC health insurance, it basically covers, accidents, and sickness. My yearly deductable is 125.00 then I am only responsible for 20% after than. I am paying 36.oo a month.

Personally I think I got a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

slefferd 05-29-2011 10:04 AM

oh, this also covers RXmeds

n2gsds 05-29-2011 12:41 PM

Good question. My trial period is almost up and I would like to know too. I just don't know which ins. co. is the best/most reliable.

codmaster 05-29-2011 01:04 PM

So let's see - you are paying $432 in premiums and another $125 if need be.

Are there any exclusions and/or limitations in the coverage? Anything not covered? i.e. artificial hip if really bad HD, for example?

Just like any insurance for man or beast - if you need to use it it is well worth it, if you don't need to use it, it is wasted money.

Can you afford the expense of a major health instance also comes into whether it is worth the premiums.

cassadee7 05-29-2011 02:12 PM

When I got Saber, I bought a year of health insurance with PetPlan. For $270/year, I get $8,000 in coverage per year with a $200 deductible (per illness or injury) and 90% reimbursement. Does not cover routine care, only accidents and illness, but does cover dysplasia. It was well worth it for me and my peace of mind alone, knowing that if she ate a sock, bloated, broke a leg or was attacked we are covered for care.

slefferd 05-29-2011 03:09 PM

My policy does not cover congenital things such as HD, but it covers most everything else. Surgery, xrays, etc..

JPF 05-29-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassadee7 (Post 2151022)
When I got Saber, I bought a year of health insurance with PetPlan. For $270/year, I get $8,000 in coverage per year with a $200 deductible (per illness or injury) and 90% reimbursement. Does not cover routine care, only accidents and illness, but does cover dysplasia. It was well worth it for me and my peace of mind alone, knowing that if she ate a sock, bloated, broke a leg or was attacked we are covered for care.

petplan is the best in my opinion. nice to know we are covered in case of dysplasia

kr16 05-29-2011 05:01 PM

Since I sell health insurance for humans, I am going to look into all these companies. I will make calls on Tuesday and research it. If all goes well with the health of your dog you are going to be putting 3-400 a year into a plan that gets you nothing until its needed. Why not open a seperate bank account and fund the same moneys in and in the later years when needed you should have $4,000 that you can use or keep if you do not need it.

shepherd513 05-29-2011 05:04 PM

I have VPI pet insurance for my dog and pay a little over $40 a month

cassadee7 05-29-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr16 (Post 2151144)
Since I sell health insurance for humans, I am going to look into all these companies. I will make calls on Tuesday and research it. If all goes well with the health of your dog you are going to be putting 3-400 a year into a plan that gets you nothing until its needed. Why not open a seperate bank account and fund the same moneys in and in the later years when needed you should have $4,000 that you can use or keep if you do not need it.

Because IF she needs surgery or expensive treatment this year, $270 in the bank is not going to even touch it. I have seen vet bills into the many thousands of dollars for various things in other people's dogs, and I am not willing to risk being in a position where I have to decide whether to treat my dog or not.