Health insurance opinions - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 02:47 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I want to provide some updated claims handling experience with Healthy Paws. I feel like one doesn't really know an insurance company until you ask them to pay BIG claims. Nobody should trust recommendations of companies based just on how they pay piddly little bills -- the rubber really meets the road with claims-handling for multi-thousand dollar claims. Those are the kinds of claims where some companies that lack integrity will do all they can to weasel their way out of paying.

Late last year, we had a $2k emergency dental surgery after a fetch collision accident. HP paid 90% of that surgery in about 2 weeks -- easy, peasy. The same dog was just diagnosed with melanoma in his eye, requiring an elaborate ophthalmology surgery costing over $2.5k My claim for the eye surgery was approved just one business day after sending the invoice, and I'll have their payment direct deposited within about a week.

The really important thing is that they're covering 90% of the total surgery/hospitalization bill for services performed by expensive specialtists -- the eye surgery was at a top-of-the-line regional referral facility providing 24-hour high-level hospitalization after surgery (with a vet on duty all hours). This kind of facility bills out way, way above anybody's "usual and customary" allowances--so it was incredibly important for us to have a policy that covered actual charges. HP approved the entire bill with no exclusions or monkey business. (There was no exam fee on this bill, as that had been a previous visit setting up this surgery.)

They're also covering monthly Adequan injections for HD. They cover them whether I have my vet clinic staff do them, or order the medicine from an online pet pharmacy.

We're coming close to $5000 in approved claims in the past 12 months. Once HP has the records and the dog is in their system, the claims process is astonishingly fast. I am very, very pleased. Great company to deal with, so far!
Just signed my boy up with Healthy Paws literally a week ago. Such a great thing to know. Thank you for updating us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I want to provide some updated claims handling experience with Healthy Paws. I feel like one doesn't really know an insurance company until you ask them to pay BIG claims. Nobody should trust recommendations of companies based just on how they pay piddly little bills -- the rubber really meets the road with claims-handling for multi-thousand dollar claims. Those are the kinds of claims where some companies that lack integrity will do all they can to weasel their way out of paying.

Late last year, we had a $2k emergency dental surgery after a fetch collision accident. HP paid 90% of that surgery in about 2 weeks -- easy, peasy. The same dog was just diagnosed with melanoma in his eye, requiring an elaborate ophthalmology surgery costing over $2.5k My claim for the eye surgery was approved just one business day after sending the invoice, and I'll have their payment direct deposited within about a week.

The really important thing is that they're covering 90% of the total surgery/hospitalization bill for services performed by expensive specialtists -- the eye surgery was at a top-of-the-line regional referral facility providing 24-hour high-level hospitalization after surgery (with a vet on duty all hours). This kind of facility bills out way, way above anybody's "usual and customary" allowances--so it was incredibly important for us to have a policy that covered actual charges. HP approved the entire bill with no exclusions or monkey business. (There was no exam fee on this bill, as that had been a previous visit setting up this surgery.)

They're also covering monthly Adequan injections for HD. They cover them whether I have my vet clinic staff do them, or order the medicine from an online pet pharmacy.

We're coming close to $5000 in approved claims in the past 12 months. Once HP has the records and the dog is in their system, the claims process is astonishingly fast. I am very, very pleased. Great company to deal with, so far!

Thank you for sharing, I am looking into insurance for my 10 month pup.
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

One more HP tidbit: they covered a second follow-up $2,000 surgery that was needed in my dog's eye this summer, and they're covering the new DNA-based melanoma "cancer vaccine." It costs $700-800 per injection (which are needed every 2 weeks for 4 shots, then every 6 months). It's still in clinical trials for people, but it's approved for dogs. It teaches the immune system to recognize and target melanoma cells.

When I called HP to ask about coverage, I was worried that the word "vaccine" would give them an "out" (since "vaccines" are excluded per the contract). They put me on hold, checked on it, and confirmed it's definitely covered as a chemo alternative. She made a note in the dog's file about our conversation, and once I sent in the vet clinic receipt, it was approved for payment the next business day.

We're now approaching $9,000 in the past 12 months -- all paid without any hassle whatsoever.

Aside from the magnitude of the bills, the way they handled the cancer "vaccine" approval really impressed me. I'll pay exam fees all day long to get bills like this covered!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page