19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM

PetPlan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Elite Member

I ended up going with Petplan. My first claim got paid with no hassles at all. The check was about $1100 or close to it. If you plan on or are getting the dog fixed, they are both good. Petplan is owned by one of the largest insurance companies in the world, Allianz. Based on my research and how my claim went, Petplan was a winner.
post #43 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Knighted Member

I am thinking of going with PetPlan as well. My dog is 9 months old, not spayed (yet... hopefully soon), and micro chipped.

However, the reason I've been on and off for months with whether I should get the pet insurance is she is already not very healthy. She has SIBO, I believe her hips may not be the best (not showing pain, but they seem weak to me... which is a possibility since she is a BYB/puppy mill dog), and her skin isn't very good. She's already racked up almost $2500 in additional vet bills (not basic upkeep care). I know there is more to come.

I would love something to help with medical costs, as she is known for some big bills which is very hard to afford out of pocket sometimes.... but, not sure which would work best for us... and whether it would help at all! I also NEVER want to be in the situation where I can't afford to treat my dog if anything happened to her. I would prefer something to cover hips (if possible). Anything that has good coverage with a decent price.

Anyway, after reading through this thread, PetPlan seems to be what would work for us..... What do you think? Is pet insurance worth it?

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to stafinois Send a message via Yahoo to stafinois
kr16, thank you for all of your research! I was planning on getting either Trupanion or PetPlan for my soon-to-be pup. You helped me make my decision

Aimee
Grant CD CGC HIC TDI (AKC AmStaf/UKC APBT)
Harry 04/04/04 - 05/18/11 (Belgian Malinois)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 PM

I ended up going with petplan too We went with the gold plan and got 2 bucks shy of one month free by paying the year all at once. Since Milou is a puppy, she's only 29 a month.

Pippin, Shetland Sheepdog (1997 - 2011) - RIP sweet boy
Haji Baba, Tabby Cat (1996 - 2012) - RIP my heart
Button, Black Long Coat Cat (~June 5th, 2006)
Milou Van Der Maas, Long Coat GSD (March 23, 2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 AM

petsbest. petplan or trupanion

I;ve always used petsbest.. and they have always paid ok. What is the consensus on going with petplan or trupanion?
post #47 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke4275 View Post
I;ve always used petsbest.. and they have always paid ok. What is the consensus on going with petplan or trupanion?

Sorry just saw this. Just by this line in the policy I wouldn't get it. leave the door open for them to pay nothing

Pre-existing conditions
Any illness or injury that begins before your policy is effective, or during your waiting period, will be considered “pre-existing”. Even if your pet had no signs or symptoms and wasn’t diagnosed, some conditions can still be considered pre-existing.

Some conditions, like broken legs, heal and require no further treatment. Once healed, these are not considered pre-existing conditions.

Congenital Conditions
Congenital conditions are present at birth, even if they aren’t noticeable right away, and are therefore considered pre-existing. The most common examples of congenital conditions include patellar luxation, umbilical hernia, elongated soft palate and portosystemic shunt.
post #48 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Master Member

This should be in the health area as a sticky! Thank you so much for doing the research! I have been so on the fence about which company to go with but now I have no doubts about it at all! Thank you really. Its a blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
Sorry just saw this. Just by this line in the policy I wouldn't get it. leave the door open for them to pay nothing

Pre-existing conditions
Any illness or injury that begins before your policy is effective, or during your waiting period, will be considered “pre-existing”. Even if your pet had no signs or symptoms and wasn’t diagnosed, some conditions can still be considered pre-existing.

Some conditions, like broken legs, heal and require no further treatment. Once healed, these are not considered pre-existing conditions.

Congenital Conditions
Congenital conditions are present at birth, even if they aren’t noticeable right away, and are therefore considered pre-existing. The most common examples of congenital conditions include patellar luxation, umbilical hernia, elongated soft palate and portosystemic shunt.
post #49 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Elite Member

Your welcome.

I am having great luck with petplan they have paid three claims already well over $2000 in total so far, they pay fast also. My dog is only 11 months old well one year next week.
post #50 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Master Member

i'm looking to buy pet insurance for wolf and started a thread before finding this...this has been the most helpful thread ever lol thank you everyone, especially kr16!! i've been ripping my hair out trying to read all the fine print of pet insurance companies and talking to them but not getting clear answers. all the research and everything in here is wonderful *hugs LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page