Health insurance opinions - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
slefferd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
Since I sell health insurance for humans, I am going to look into all these companies. I will make calls on Tuesday and research it. If all goes well with the health of your dog you are going to be putting 3-400 a year into a plan that gets you nothing until its needed. Why not open a seperate bank account and fund the same moneys in and in the later years when needed you should have $4,000 that you can use or keep if you do not need it.
Well, for example, my dog needed 2 xrays on his leg (1 xray, 2 views) and some sedation, this cost me 211.00
A month ago a dog bit him and he had to be put on antibiotics. 185.00 + 25.oo for a coller to keep him from licking it
This seems like a trend, hes only 7 months old, so I went ahead and got it. IT also covers prescriptions, surgery etc
slefferd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassadee7 View Post
Because IF she needs surgery or expensive treatment this year, $270 in the bank is not going to even touch it. I have seen vet bills into the many thousands of dollars for various things in other people's dogs, and I am not willing to risk being in a position where I have to decide whether to treat my dog or not.
Thanks, I know the risks. I didn't say not to do it. I said I was going to research it. I gave an alternative, its all a crapshoot. I may buy it also. I may even get appointed to sell it. Its great you have it. Ive been thinking about getting it also.

I like to rip apart policy's and see what's in them. Its what I do daily. Dogs humans same language give or take a disease.

Statistically the insurance companies make mega money, that means the average person never gets to use the benefits, human or dog.

That's a good thing, it means your healthy. I hear the same thing daily people complain they pay all this money and do not get anything for it, I smile and say that's a good thing, your healthy.

I hope you pay money and never get anything back, that means you have a healthy pet.
kr16 is offline  
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by slefferd View Post
Well, for example, my dog needed 2 xrays on his leg (1 xray, 2 views) and some sedation, this cost me 211.00
A month ago a dog bit him and he had to be put on antibiotics. 185.00 + 25.oo for a coller to keep him from licking it
This seems like a trend, hes only 7 months old, so I went ahead and got it. IT also covers prescriptions, surgery etc
Which company do you use? And hopefully that trend stops.

I will get a list of some of the companies and call them on Tuesday and get some schedule of benefits and exclusions. Maybe since I am an agent I can get some more details.
kr16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
slefferd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
Which company do you use? And hopefully that trend stops.

I will get a list of some of the companies and call them on Tuesday and get some schedule of benefits and exclusions. Maybe since I am an agent I can get some more details.

I went through the AKC
slefferd is offline  
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 1,193
Guys you cant look at simple terms like I get $8000 and its an 80/20 plan.

You have to rip apart the schedule of benefits. What they pay for each procedure is what counts.

lets start with VPI. They have a schedule of benefits and a ton of exclusions that would worry me.

EX:A pyometra procedure they pay $455 that can cost $1000 at a vet. They also have it broken down into a primary allowance and a secondary allowance. That's a little tricky they pay 0 for the first procedure and surgery on certain items and than they pay for the second follow up. Read the benefits schedule on the right. Best way for me to go on is to know prices on certain things.

http://www.petinsurance.com/Plans-And-Coverage/Dogs/Health-Plans/Whats-Covered.aspx

If this was a human health insurance company I would be Leary of this one. I will check the others. Anyone want me to look at theirs please let me know and I will gladly do so.
kr16 is offline  
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 1,193
Sorry if I am dominating the thread, just trying to help.

I found one I think I like so far.

Its trupanion.

Trupanion vs. Petplan - Compare Pet Insurance Companies | Trupanion

Petplan which I havent ripped apart to much yet, has this in their policy's.

Reasonable costs* of any medically necessary treatment for a covered illness or injury.
*The fees regularly charged and incurred for a given treatment or procedure by the treating veterinary facility.

It means they pay what they deem to be a fair price. That is also what you guys need to know what out of network costs on your human health insurance is.

So example you or your dog breaks its arm. You go to your vet or Doc he charges $1000 to fix it. In network that doctor would get $300 from the insurance company even thu the charges are $1000 that's what the insurance company deems as fair and reasonable. They would give you the $300 and you are responsible for the balance. That would apply to most of you when you go out of network on your health insurance. So with pets that's everything every time.

Last edited by kr16; 05-29-2011 at 10:17 PM.
kr16 is offline  
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Elite Member
 
marshies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
Sorry if I am dominating the thread, just trying to help.

I found one I think I like so far.

Its trupanion.

Trupanion vs. Petplan - Compare Pet Insurance Companies | Trupanion

Petplan which I havent ripped apart to much yet, has this in their policy's.

Reasonable costs* of any medically necessary treatment for a covered illness or injury.
*The fees regularly charged and incurred for a given treatment or procedure by the treating veterinary facility.

It means they pay what they deem to be a fair price. That is also what you guys need to know what out of network costs on your human health insurance is.

So example you or your dog breaks its arm. You go to your vet or Doc he charges $1000 to fix it. In network that doctor would get $300 from the insurance company even thu the charges are $1000 that's what the insurance company deems as fair and reasonable. They would give you the $300 and you are responsible for the balance. That would apply to most of you when you go out of network on your health insurance. So with pets that's everything every time.
Thank you so much for doing this. I am researching about caring and owning a german shepherd, and insurance has been on the top of my mind. This information is absolutely valuable, especially since you can look at it from a perspective that I don't have.

On Chinese Canadian forum I frequent, they have a comparison of health plans in Chinese. But it will be much more useful for me if the information is in English, since that is the language I'll be using if I interact with either a vet or an insurance company.
marshies is offline  
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Elite Member
 
GSD07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,985
Incorrect assumption and interpretation of the quote from the Petplan policy. Petplan is not people's insurance, the human insurance rules do not apply. With Petplan it's as simple as that, 80/20 after the deductible for a given condition. I have used it, unfortunately, and they did pay as promised for a visit to a very expensive vet (over $600 bill for bringing in a puppy with diarrhea, anyone? ) Petplan does not have schedules, does not have allowances except the yearly limit.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GSD07 is offline  
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD07 View Post
Incorrect assumption and interpretation of the quote from the Petplan policy. Petplan is not people's insurance, the human insurance rules do not apply. With Petplan it's as simple as that, 80/20 after the deductible for a given condition. I have used it, unfortunately, and they did pay as promised for a visit to a very expensive vet (over $600 bill for bringing in a puppy with diarrhea, anyone? ) Petplan does not have schedules, does not have allowances except the yearly limit.
lol, its not human insurance? Woops im bad.

I havent looked at it enough yet to say if its a bad policy like VPI. I will get to petplan today and research.

This is on their policy. I have given you what it really means as it translates into insurance law for Humans. I will go out on a limb here and say the wording applies the same for pets. Might only relate to the Beverly Hills type vets that over charge but its still written into the policy. Based on they have no schedule of benefits it becomes a grey area what you will be reimbursed. Your success in payment is great, glad you had it. It still doesnt change what this means.


The more people that post and tell their experiences with petplan would be great. Hopefully they do not undercut people to much.


Reasonable costs* of any medically necessary treatment for a covered illness or injury.
*The fees regularly charged and incurred for a given treatment or procedure by the treating veterinary facility.

Last edited by kr16; 05-30-2011 at 11:08 AM.
kr16 is offline  
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 1,193
Nothing is as clear as its just an 80/20. You have got to read the entire policy and see what the restrictions are. I plan to do that and will gladly look at yours or anyone elses. Human or pet, lol its what I do. The lingo is all the same. I try to help people for the good not only to make money.

Can someone get me a copy of a petplan policy please? Their website doesnt have any I will call them tomorrow and see if they will send me one if no one here can do that.

I see no where does it have this written, might be a false thing on a different site. regardless hopefully many of you know what that means now.

Reasonable costs* of any medically necessary treatment for a covered illness or injury.
*The fees regularly charged and incurred for a given treatment or procedure by the treating veterinary facility.

Last edited by kr16; 05-30-2011 at 11:21 AM.
kr16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome